DOF Blur Quality

Started by eon_designs, February 11, 2013, 08:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eon_designs

Hello All

Just completed a rendering. I needed to have a very shallow depth of field so that the background was in total blur isolating the foreground subject.

However, when I render the blur quality is a bit speckled (A small shot of the rendering included)

Is the quality of this blur driven by the amount of Anti Aliasing, Samples or the DOF value? At present the AA value was set to 4 as was Samples and the DOF value was set to 2. Because of the high amount of transparency and the necessity for a high amount of Ray bounces (20) this rendering took a long, long time.

Many thanks. Eon

DriesV

If I remember correctly from the KS manual, DOF quality should be 3 to 5 for production quality.
Or you could wait a day or two and KS4 will give you depth pass capability. ;)

Dries

evilmaul

4 samples in total?  well since there is so much DOF  I would go down with AA samples (which also increase render time) and I would  increase the scene samples, maybe do a region crop test with different values starting from 16 then 32 ...64 (go have a coffee or 2 ) :P

guest84672

Or use the realtime render mode. It will actually render faster, especially with DOF. Use max samples - start at 32, then 64 if needed.