Color on Different Faces

Started by Bugs, February 11, 2013, 05:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugs

Hi all, new to Key Shot and feeling my way through.
I have a ProEngineer modal that I imported into Key Shot. It

guest84672

Apply the color on the part level to the individual surfaces that you want broken out in KeyShot.

Bugs

Thanks for the reply Thomas.
I dont know what happend to the rest of my message, most of it seems to be missing.
I was wanting to apply different colors to the surfases of the part within KeyShot. Just carnt find how to do this. There is nothing in the manual I can find. If I pick a differnt color the who part changes color.

guest84672

Sorry - I should have been more specific. You will need to do this in your modeling software.

Speedster

Hi Bugs;

Hey, we're all newbies sometime!  Welcome to the Forum!

"Mapping" is a critical step in preparing your model for rendering, so hopefully this will help.  You simply have to tell KeyShot what you want it to do.

All mapping (also known as UV Mapping) has to happen in your native modeling app, ProE is yours, SolidWorks is mine.  Don't hold it against me! 

If you have a "part" (and/or a part in an assembly), say a cube, and you leave it in a native color, KeyShot will recognize that part as a single entity, so when you apply a material to it, it will be applied to the entire part.

But, if (again in your native app) you apply a different color (any color, no matter) to each of the six surfaces of you cube, you can then apply any given material to any given face.  Like red paint on one face, wood on another, and brushed stainless to another.  This is especially handy with wood, as you can assign the same wood to each face, then change the angle so the grain runs continuous.  Or apply end grain to the appropriate surfaces.  Also think in terms of raised lettering, where you could map the top faces for white paint or a polished metal.

I often use the "split line" SolidWorks tool to create descrete faces that can then be mapped.  I'm sure ProE has a similiar tool.

Another trick for thin material (like a "ground plane") is to map each surface as above, but then use a heavy frosted glass on the top, and a paint or metal on the opposite side.  This allows for great reflections under your model!

Hope these tips help!  It's really important to think out your rendering intent and prepare your model for it.  It's always best to "overmap", as you can always apply the same material(s) if needed.

Bill G

Bugs

Thanks Bill, That was the trick....... You explained it well.
All good, just assigned the colors to the surfaces in ProE, saved it, then opened in KeyShot and I could just change those surfaces to what I wanted.
Solidworks is ok, used it for about 6 months but was happy to go back to ProE......

Brian