Metal material advice

Started by Adam_M, February 12, 2013, 05:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_M

Hello all, new member and keyshot user.

Anyone have any tips for reducing reflections in assemblies with machined and cast parts? I'm having troubles with unrealistic looking parts because of reflections. I've tried bumping up the roughness scale on the machined faces but this leads to unrealistic machined parts/faces. I've also rendered about separate images leaving out some parts to reduce reflections.

Anyone have any tips/tricks or material advice for metal?

Thanks

guest84672

I'm not sure I understand the issue. What is looking "unrealistic"?

PhilippeV8

You can try adding a semi transparent layer to the lable part ... I did that once for aluminium to get that slightly oxidised look.

jhiker

What? - they're too shiny? Have you tried using bump maps?
If you could post a picture or a .ksp file I'm sure someone would be happy to advise.

Adam_M

Sorry for the horrible description of my problem.

I've attached a photo that hopefuly helps.

KeyShot

Can you just make the color darker?

Adam_M

Make the machined part darker to reduce reflections?

guest84672

You will need to apply bump maps. Look into the textures folder and apply the suitable texture as a bump map.

Adam_M

Quote from: Thomas Teger on February 13, 2013, 06:13:10 PM
You will need to apply bump maps. Look into the textures folder and apply the suitable texture as a bump map.

If the material is suppose to be "smooth" should I still apply a bump map and just turn down the bump height and roughness?

guest84672

yes - exactly. For cast you can just the roughness value and increase it a bit. For chrome, just leave at 0 roughness, but maybe change the color to more of a gray. For machined, you may want to try the stainless steel with a light brush from the material library.