EXR dataWindow displayWindow

Started by RooiDesign, February 19, 2013, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RooiDesign

Im Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but, I have just converted to using exr output from keyshot. I think its a great format, due to its size and the fact that it packs everything you need all into one file. However I have run into a slight problem that when I am compositing my scenes in photoshop and I have rendered different areas of my scene using the region render, that the exr seems to crop the image to the area of my region from keyshot and removes the rest of the 'transparent' window.

After a lot of frustrating research and hair pulling, I have learned that exr files seem to have 2 window types. A displayWindow and a dataWindow. These two windows dont necessarily need to be the same size, but due to viewing issues it seems that most software defaults to using the dataWindow, which in this case 'crops' the image to the data ie. the small region in the render, and therefor seems to crop the image. So for overlaying these images direct over each other in photoshop doesnt work.

There is a fix though, a plugin from www.fnord.com called Proexr can help with this. It runs a script that matches the dataWindow and displayWindow sizes and thus restoring the whole image including the transparent area around the region.

I was thinking though that it might be a better idea that when the exr file is saved out of keyshot that these two windows are by default the same, or that there is an option for this. This would eliminate quite a few extra steps involved in compositing and also save the 95 bucks for the plugin.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? or am I missing something completely?