Importing camera animation

Started by ksuser01, February 21, 2013, 01:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksuser01

I just downloaded the KS4 trial to test one feature because i couldn't find a straight answer and i still cant seem to get it to work, could anyone help?

I would just like to import a simple camera animation from 3ds max to KS. Within the FBX options i selected check boxes for camera, animation and baked animation. I keyframed a simple animation of 100 frames with the camera flying around a cube then exported the entire scene and imported it into KS and no animation is registering.

If this should work 100% could someone please walk me through it?

Thanks.

ksuser01

Some help would be nice or are the programmers too busy fixing bugs?

guest84672

Can you share the file so we can take a look?

ksuser01

Hi Tomas,

To save me from sending a file across you could replicate this easily in your studio. Simply create a primitive shape and animate the camera eg. 100 frames around the shape using either keyframe interpolation or even a path spline. Then export that using FBX and see if that imports correctly into keyshot 4 demo.

If that works for you then I'm doing something wrong on my end and I will send you the file.

Thank you.

Bruno F

Hello,

Camera information conversion from 3DS Max to KS is still being refined.  Stay tuned for a fix in a future release.

ksuser01

Thank you for the update and i look forward to a fix. I hope this will be implemented as i expect most studio max users are more familiar with the native camera than the camera in keyshot and stands to reason that any animation done in max around the model (if easily imported in keyshot) would be welcomed.

arturbrancoder

Personally I would pretty much like to see a native cam system in KS, that allowed a fluid motion for cam transition and animation.

Looking forward to this update in future version of KeyShot.

Justin M

I was having troubles exporting animated cameras from 3dsmax to KS. It seems it didn't like targeted cameras for some reason. My workaround was to animate my targeted camera (Cam 1) in 3dsmax, then parent a free camera (Cam 2) to the existing targeted camera. I then exported the file via FBX and everything came in just fine. I then deleted Cam 1 from KS and Cam 2 is in the KS scene. Only thing I had to do was adjust the FOV/Distance because KS did not bring in that data from 3dsMax.  Other than that issue, I am extremely happy with this software!!! It has helped me out tremendously when tight deadlines arise.

Rex

Quote from: fantomas81 on November 11, 2014, 04:17:58 PM
I was having troubles exporting animated cameras from 3dsmax to KS. It seems it didn't like targeted cameras for some reason. My workaround was to animate my targeted camera (Cam 1) in 3dsmax, then parent a free camera (Cam 2) to the existing targeted camera. I then exported the file via FBX and everything came in just fine. I then deleted Cam 1 from KS and Cam 2 is in the KS scene. Only thing I had to do was adjust the FOV/Distance because KS did not bring in that data from 3dsMax.  Other than that issue, I am extremely happy with this software!!! It has helped me out tremendously when tight deadlines arise.

Are you running KeyShot 5.1.57? .fbx FOV/Distance information is now retained on import.

Justin M

I have updated now. It does retain FOV/distance. Thanks.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

angelina22