Main Menu

Real Bump mapping

Started by Gavrik, February 23, 2013, 11:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavrik

When will be a real bump mapping with deformation of the surface?

evilmaul

maybe if you (and other ppl) will ask 'nicely'.... we will have "displacement" support in the future revisions ;)

guest84672

@Gavrik - We get the request from time to time. What kind of objects are you rendering? What is it that you are missing. Since you posted it as a "rant" this must a real deficiency.

Gavrik

I'm rendering wooden doors. wood texture will look better with displacement. Especially macro perspectives  ;)

guest84672

I think that you can achieve this very well with a combination of color and bump maps. Or do you have an example where this doesn't work for you.

PhilippeV8

Does he mean deformation of the outer-edges ? ... perhaps ...  :)

Gavrik

I'm trying to do something like this. But the photo is much better than the render. And I think that with displacement render would look more realistic.

DriesV

Frankly, I like your rendering much more! ;D

Dries

fario

Me to, i like your rendering, maybe much more specularity?

Antoine

TpwUK

Hi Gavrik, It would be displacement that you would need, but it would probably come with a hefty penalty or two. For a start you would need control of mesh density or you would have to export to a mesh object from your software to say OBJ or FBX. The other problem you would run into is the edges of the beading, with displacement in effect you would end up with bumpy edges and would loose that "sawn" edge unless of course you can UVW map all the surfaces involved, so in reality your wish is "do able" but would massively increase your work load.

Martin

PhilippeV8

Comparing this render with the foto .. I'd suggest 2 things

1) scale texture and bumpmap up a bit
2) it's all about placing the light in the right spot to make the bump more visible !

Maybe put a pin light in your HDR and then you need to find the sweet spot to position it.

Gavrik

Ок. I'll try to do all the things that you said. Results will be here soon.

Gavrik

I tried to do it in KS3. I must say that in KS4 bump looks better than KS3. And rounded Edges in KS4 is a nice and useful feature.

This is my best results until now. And I still believe that the displacement will make the picture more realistic.

guest84672

The bump mapping between KS3 and KS 4 hasn't changed, except that it is faster. Your image looks good.

H

Any tips on making realistic waves with bump maps instead of displacement maps?