Shadows in KS4

Started by jjeconomaki, February 23, 2013, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjeconomaki

I have a project resting on top of a wood texture. Unless I am doing something wrong, under no circumstance can I achieve any kind of shadow
from the part on the wood texture it is completely flat.  Shadows are cast onto the ground plane however.  I do not have this same problem in KS3, and have reverted back to using it.

Advice?

Thanks-

John

evilmaul

hard to understand what you re talking about.  Could you post an image to explain your issue?

jjeconomaki

I can repeat the situation, and believe it is a bug.

1) import .obj files and create bip file.  Environment shadows works fine across all components.
2) Add texture to a couple of components as a test and all works well.
3) Here's where the bug kicks in, add a flat material to all components for the clown pass, create camera angles, etc.  Make clown pass.
4) Now that the clown pass is complete, add textures. This is where in KS4 the environment shadows no longer work with the exception of the shadow on the ground plane.

Easy work around with the creation of a separate clown bip and final texture bip files, but there are times where that step is a waste of time.

guest84672

We will look into it.

As discussed at SWW, in KeyShot 4 you can automatically render out the clown pass with the push of a button.

jjeconomaki

Thomas;

Agreed, the clown pass can do as you say, but as it is at the moment, it relies on the model coming in with different colors for each component.  This is easier said than done with a scene with 100+ surfaces.

I misunderstood how the clown pass worked when we met. I thought KeyShot would recognize the surfaces at the user's option and assign a unique color prior to the clown pass.

So, in the work flow under the scenario above, I believe there is a bug in KS4 after you assign a flat material--you cannot re-assign another material and retain the ability to cast environment shadows.  Try it, fails every time here.  The work around is dual files which I agree is good habit, but this is forced.

guest84672

We will check into it.

As far as the clown pass goes, KeyShot will assign the color after the fact independent of your material assignment.