Mold-Tech materials - need a bit of help please..

Started by jhiker, February 27, 2013, 08:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhiker

Struggling a bit with the Mold-Tech materials..

Imported them into the 'Materials' tab just fine.
First problem is they all look exactly the same in the preview pane - this needs attention asap.

(1) Secondly, I can drag a Mold-Tech material onto a part and more often than not it doesn't appear to do anything - the model looks unchanged.

So.. I look in the project pane - the Bump map is there and checked.

(2) If I then check the 'Normal Map' box at bottom-left I see changes to the material texture.

(3) If i then uncheck the 'Normal map' box I still see something that looks like a textured finish - It looks right, but it is quite different from what I originally saw by dragging the Mold-Tech material onto the part in the first place (1)

So.. I'm assuming that 'Normal Map' does not need to be checked or it would be checked by default when you drag a Mold-Tech material in to the scene - is that right?

Have I overlooked something obvious?
Many thanks.
First pic - material as applied to the part
Second pic - with Normal Map checked - no other changes
Third pic - with Normal Map unchecked - no other changes

guest84672

It is actually true that hitting the normal map button does something, i.e. changes it permanently. We will need to check into it.

Keep in mind that the Mold-Tech material is dependent on size. Check your model scale. If it is se to Meters or NONE, then you will see much less of the texture.

As far as preview goes it is difficult due to the small size. We will look into it to see whether we can improve it.

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on February 27, 2013, 08:30:02 AM
It is actually true that hitting the normal map button does something, i.e. changes it permanently. We will need to check into it.[/b][/i]

Keep in mind that the Mold-Tech material is dependent on size. Check your model scale. If it is set to Meters or NONE, then you will see much less of the texture.

As far as preview goes it is difficult due to the small size. We will look into it to see whether we can improve it.
Thanks.
Could you maybe consider a temporary enlarged view of the Mold-Tech material when you hover over it?

I see Keyshot model units are set to 'None' by default - is it always advisable to change this when you import a model?

guest84672

If it is set to none, then it is basically in meters. It appears that ALIBRE doesn't transfer the units yet. So yes, you can then set the units manually in the EDIT menu to get a more accurate representation of your model.

Daveeboy

For the Thumbnails that looks all the same, you can Right-click on any folder or file and select render Thumbnails.
I don't know if my comment is still relevant 3 years later though.