Understanding model sets

Started by jeffw, March 20, 2013, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffw

I am finding the model sets function not very intuitive and the manual not very helpful. I have brought in an assembly with sub assemblies and multiple parts.

The manual says "You can add your modal to a model set by clicking the , and selecting "Add New Model Set". This will
apply the currently selected model onto a set. Only model levels can be applied to a model set."

The model set option is only available when the top level is selected so with that selected and with all parts showing I select "add new model set" and name it. I then add another model set but the first one no longer appears in the drop down list. If I select a part to remove from the new model set the "remove from model set" is no longer available, only when the top level is selected. Shift "M" does not toggle through the two sets I made. Has anyone gotten this to work?

guest84672

It works. You have to make sure that you have individual models in the scene.

Here is an example:
Import model
Duplicate model
Duplicate model
Add original model to Modelset 1
Add first duplicated model to Modelset 2
Add third duplicated model to Modelset 3

Any model not added to a model set will always be visible.

I hope this helps.

jeffw

I am not following reason the model duplication. Let me explain my work flow and see if it applies to model sets.

I have a product (kitchen appliance) which has some 25 accessories. I put product and all the accessories into one CAD file. I bring this into KS. Now I want to be able to save different configurations showing selected accessories on the base product.

Are you saying to duplicate everything multiple times ore duplicate just the accessories I want?

guest84672

yes - unfortunately you would have to do it this way - duplicate the model first, and then delete the parts that you don't need.

jeffw

Sorry but this is making no sense to me. I duplicated a model and deleted some parts. I selected the one with all parts and made a new model set. I selected the duplicate and deleted parts and made another model set. Now when I select either one and toggle between the two model sets nothing changes.

jeffw

Thomas, could you follow up on this with some kind of step by step example of how model sets work? I do not find anything in the manual about it.

bendruce

Hi Jeff

Perhaps I can provide some insight.

For a recent project I had to create the following:

1 - Render of a complete a instrument
2 - Render of a 'section-view' of the instrument.

In order to achieve this I need to import 2 sets of CAD of the instrument.

Set 1 - Complete instrument
Set 2 - Instrument with 'cut-extrude' feature creating the 'section view' effect

I decided to make a model set for each.

Step 1 - Import 'complete instrument' CAD
Step 2 - Import 'section-view' CAD
Step 3 - Select 'complete instrument CAD' in the 'scene' tab and then click 'Add new model set' from the Model set drop-down menu
Step 4 - Select 'section view instrument CAD' in the 'scene' tab and then click 'Add new model set' from the Model set drop-down menu

I now have two model sets.
In order to toggle between them you need to go View > Model Sets > Select appropriate model set.

Hope this helps.

Ben

jeffw

It works as you said. Thanks for the step by step instructions.

I would like to point out a bug however. When you select the model set through the view tab at the bottom of the scene tab it shows the model set you are in. However this is a drop down menu and intuitively one would think you could also select your model set there as well, but if you do that the other model sets disappear and can not be brought back and you have to start all over.

I would also like to point out that having to duplicate models is a cumbersome and unnecessary way to control what is displayed. For the life of me I cannot understand how you guys came to such a convoluted way to do this. It makes for huge scene trees and increases your file size with every duplication. You guys should look at how any CAD program or even Photoshop's layer sets work to see how simply they control display configurations. They all do it purely as a graphic function of saving what is displayed, kind of like toggling screen shots. They do not require any manipulation of the model other than to name whatever is currently hidden and shown.

Robb63

I have to create a landing page made up of the same CAD model duplicated 5 times, then rendered with different materials. Is this something that model sets would be used for???

I know Autodesk Showcase has the ability to let you apply materials to the data in a scene, save that, then apply new materials. You can then toggle through these different material interations to show people in real time different paint/material concepts. Is this how you would use "model sets"???
I had thought this could be accomplished using templates, but I can't get it to work.

I'm really trying to understand what model sets are, and how they would be used??? I use view sets all day long, and they are a great addition. I assume model sets (once I understand them might be as important to my workflow???). It seems like I'm not the only one struggling with how to use them.
So far I fail to see how they are any different than duplicating a model a few times, and just turning it on or off in the scene tree?

TheCrazySwede

I agree with Robb63's latest post.