Bring in models at actual size, actual location

Started by JAKiii, July 08, 2010, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAKiii

Maybe I'm missing something when I save the file, but I would like models to come into KeyShot at actual 1:1 size.  Even better if models import at the same XYZ as I saved them.  I bring models in from Alias, so maybe it's an Alias thing.  In which case, please for the love of God get that Alias translator going -

guest84672

Why does "actual 1:1" size matter, out of curiosity?

JAKiii

Thomas -

The physical size of the model doesn't matter.  My problem is that I bring objects into a scene at different times and they don't match each other.  Maybe I'm missing something, but objects from the same file can come in at different sizes if I import them separately.  Ideally for me, all objects imported to KeyShot would be tied to the dimensions assigned in the CAD file.

guest84672

Make sure to check  "Same coordinates as previous object" upon import.

JAKiii

This problem exists whether or not I check "same coordinates..."

Screenshot below to illustrate the problem.  And I can scale the objects, my real frustration is that I don't have precise, accurate dimensions.

guest84672

Models are coming from 2 different applications?

JAKiii

It doesn't matter if the models come from the same application or not.  In the case of the screenshot above, the car came from 3DS and the house from Alias.

m2tts

I'm with JAKii on this one. Size does matter (well, relative size anyway). CAD systems understand this. KeyShot internally understands this (what are all those numbers in there for otherwise (25meter environment?)), so why not take advantage of this?

ENERGIA

I have the same problem. I import two models from SpaceClaim and Keyshoot resize each model at diferent scale.

As Jakiii, the problem exists whether or not I check "same coordinates..."

guest84672

@ENERGIA - what format are you using? If they are 2 models from SC, and are modeled in the same units, then this should not be an issue. This goes for any CAD application.

ENERGIA

I´m using OBJ format. It´s the only format from SC that works well in Keyshot.

ENERGIA

Initially, one of the models imported from SC was begun building in Pro Engineer, it was exported to Sc, finished in SC and finally imported to Keyshot from SC.

Now, I have edit in SC all the components of this model, I have imported it to Keyshot and the size of the model is O.K.