Algarve terrace covering + "ground" material shadows

Started by PhilippeV8, April 04, 2013, 11:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Gotta love being able to add in some walls and then give them the ground material so they vanish but do receive shadow ...

TpwUK

Yeah i love the ground feature - sooooo many uses

Martin

DriesV

Philippe, looks really nice!

How did you go about applying the ground material to your walls and floor?
Can you post a rendering without backplate (white background)?
Did you try and match the walls and floor geometry exactly with the reference backplate?

Dries

PhilippeV8

Here's what I did... it's quite simple realy.

First I made my assembly of 4 Algarves.  Then I added a part in an L-shape behind it that roughly matches the existing building.  Then I mapped the backplate photo in SketchUp in order to find a good reference for the camera angle and sun/shadow position (It's very easy in SU).
I gave the needed faces of the L-wall a different color and then imported the assembly in KS.
All that's left to do is to put in the backplate, match the camera angle, hide the parts of the L-wall that are unneeded, change the needed wall parts to the "ground" material type and put in a good HDRI and match the shadow angle.
Give the Algarve the right color/material and you're set to start your render.

PhilippeV8

I could've modeled the bench in SketchUp and colored all backfaces a different color, then hide those in KS and give the "frontfaces" a ground-material too.  Then the shadow lines would've run over the bench correctly 2 .. but I figured it would be over-kill for what it's meant to serve ...  ;)

fario

hello Philippe,

I have the same request for my work.

I have a topic created for this.

thank you.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,2162.0.html

Antoine