Main Menu

Procedural Textures

Started by andyboy, July 08, 2010, 05:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyboy

Procedural textures would be great. Cinema4D has a great implementation with dozens of different fractals. I'd like to see something like that. Also Alias Studio has a thing called 3D textures that will... I'm not sure how to explain it. You would use it for swiss cheese, for example, so that the bubbles go right through the material. It's very cool. Great for wood, granite, etc., where the texture is not on the surface but in the material.

andy.engelkemier

I want to reply to this to bump it to the top again too.

3D texture also greatly help with surfaces that aren't easy to UVmap.
For example if you use a 3D noise to add some bumpiness to a cast metal part you will get no seams. If you use other mapping methods, even the experts will have to hide a seam Somewhere. And let's face it....most people using keyshot aren't quite industry experts nor should they have to spend the time unwrapping their design in most cases.

Since a 3D texture could make this much simpler, I'd like to see if we can get them. It should help nearly any person dealing with materials with semi-organic shapes that need some texture to it. And the more obvious things like granite and wood as well. Although, procedural wood is incredibly difficult to get looking realistic. Maybe start with some basic procedural noise?

fwliong

Well i think the procedural texture should be like maya procedural texture that way you dont need to have uv layout.
Just put the texture then it will follow the object.