Main Menu

Map-driven roughness

Started by Despot, April 08, 2013, 10:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

The ability to control the material roughness parameter via a texture map.... please  ;)

J

guest84672

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain?

Despot

Hi Thomas

The ability to use a texture map to control roughness amount - white pixels in the map increase roughness, whereas black pixels reduce roughness to 0 -  intermediate values adjust roughness accordingly

I've included an image to illustrate and also the roughness map used

Cheers

J

KeyShot

Yes, that looks great and would be useful. We are thinking about ways to expose the full shader tree capability of KeyShot without cluttering the interface.

evilmaul

that would be awesome Henrik. Keep the simplicity for designers but also have the chance to access and tweek other aspects of the shaders if needed :)

DriesV

Quote from: evilmaul on April 11, 2013, 11:08:57 PM
that would be awesome Henrik. Keep the simplicity for designers but also have the chance to access and tweek other aspects of the shaders if needed :)

That sounds like an absolutely great idea to me!
Maybe even mode switching between 'keep it simple, stupid' and 'extreme'.
Like workflow division in workbenches in DS Catia, subapplications in Siemens NX, part/assembly/drawing env. in SolidWorks...

Just thinking out loud... :)

Dries

Ed

"We are thinking about ways to expose the full shader tree capability of KeyShot without cluttering the interface."

+1

Keeping the uncluttered UI and simplicity of KeyShot, yet allowing advanced users to experiment and push the envelope is a great goal.

I would think an "Advanced Material Editor" button and a new window (much like the HDR Editor scheme) would work.

Ed