Guitar (experimenting with lights)

Started by Adam_M, April 10, 2013, 09:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_M

Trying to play with light sources to bring out the most important subject on models. This is just a first attempt, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Josh3D

Very nice. love how the light is shining through the knobs.

Adam_M

Thanks Josh, this was my first time using only IES lights and turning down the environment lighting to almost 0. I think it gives the subject a much more dramtic feel.

Josh3D

Indeed it does. What profiles did you use?

Esben Oxholm

Great start.

Imo the lightning is a bit to hard. Especially the shadows around the knobs is too dark and sharp. Maybe you can soften them up just a tiny bit.

Adam_M

Quote from: josh3d on April 11, 2013, 08:50:30 AM
Indeed it does. What profiles did you use?

I imported the plane, and used teh IES spot light.

Adam_M

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on April 11, 2013, 10:42:59 AM
Great start.

Imo the lightning is a bit to hard. Especially the shadows around the knobs is too dark and sharp. Maybe you can soften them up just a tiny bit.

I thought that a bit as well, I turned the watts down on the light to 20-30 I think. I should prob move the light further from the guitar and make the light not so bright.

evilmaul

it wouldnt change the result if you move the IES light further away because they are point lights and therefore always cast hard shadows. Try an area light instead.
Regardless though, and we all know it would be a cheat ...it will still be nice if the IES lights could have a shadow softness attribute.

Adam_M

Quote from: evilmaul on April 11, 2013, 07:29:24 PM
it wouldnt change the result if you move the IES light further away because they are point lights and therefore always cast hard shadows. Try an area light instead.
Regardless though, and we all know it would be a cheat ...it will still be nice if the IES lights could have a shadow softness attribute.

When you use area light do you ever encounter white dots on your subject?

evilmaul

no..it never occurred to me. What is that about? do you have a pic showing the issue?

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Adam_M on April 11, 2013, 07:39:40 PM

When I use an area light and have added a ground plane, I encounter some white dots on the ground plane. Haven't figured out if it's possible to get rid of them.

Mark_84

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on April 12, 2013, 12:56:02 AM
Quote from: Adam_M on April 11, 2013, 07:39:40 PM

When I use an area light and have added a ground plane, I encounter some white dots on the ground plane. Haven't figured out if it's possible to get rid of them.

the same happens to me dude  :-\

evilmaul

hmmm I am not quite sure why that is happening...I just tried something real quick with a mesh, ground plane and a simple plane turned into the 3 different light sources and it all seems to work as expected.

Mark_84

could you please attach the *.bip file..or send it to me via PM..so we don't spam this thread with our issues.. ;)

thanks a lot ;)

Quote from: evilmaul on April 12, 2013, 07:20:14 PM
hmmm I am not quite sure why that is happening...I just tried something real quick with a mesh, ground plane and a simple plane turned into the 3 different light sources and it all seems to work as expected.

TpwUK

I had the same issue with OSx 10.8.3 running Nvidia with KS4 only. Even though my GTX660Ti is now supported directly by Apple, I still needed to install the Cuda drivers, installing those seems to have fixed this issue for me and as a bonus my renders are even quicker now

Martin