Main Menu

Image modes for labels

Started by bocko, April 20, 2013, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bocko

Ok, I am a newbie here - sorry if I missed something:

What I would like to see in the future are the labels which can have different image modes, like layers in PhotoShop (i.e. Multiply, Overlay, Screen, Darken, Difference, etc.) That way one could just slap non-transparent label image to an object (say-colored paper bag) and set it's mode to 'multiply', and it would behave like it was really printed on colored surface. (See attached example.)

(I am still using demo version of KS4, so I don't know if there is something like that in full version.)

Thanks!

Speedster

What you want to do is create your label as a .png or .tif with transparency.  Then just drop it on and it will appear printed.  You can also adjust brightness, etc.
Bill G

bocko

Thanks, Speedster.
I do know about transparency in labels, but it's just not the same thing...
a) in the green area in my example, see how color of the paper texture is showing through. (And in grey concrete elements, also.)
b) with complex designs that I sometimes receive, it's very complex to isolate all the transparency needed, as designers often tend to leave white areas instead of transparencies where no color is needed in print. (It took me nearly 45' in Illustrator to make the label from my example into transparent PNG suitable for KS label, and that included adjusting the green color to match what was actually printed...

All of which would be much faster with just 'multiply' label mode...
(I saw a topic here with reguest for vector support in labels, but I don't think it's so easily implemented as my suggestion...)

Cheers.

Despot

+1 for label blending modes...

edwardo

br3ttman

Hey Bocko,

Welcome to the forum!  Here's a link to how I created semi-transparent label textures in Photoshop to match another forum poster's desire to create partially tinted glass.  Personally, I recommend exporting your Illustrator artwork to Photoshop for final texture processing.  It's easier to set-up and export the transparent .pngs in Photoshop.  When I first created this image, I remember creating 3 different levels of transparency inside Photoshop to experiment with inside KeyShot.  Also, after applying as a label in KeyShot, I played with the label intensity level to dial in the final FX.

I agree, it'd be nice to have some additional level of texture and label control using multiply and opacity and other blending modes on-the-fly in KeyShot.

http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,4493.msg19081.html#msg19081

bocko

Hez, br3ttj.
That is some great work you did there. Thank you for the tips.
I'm glad that you too agree that it would be nice to have label blend modes in KS...

maymay