What does the memory usage indicator mean?

Started by NormanHadley, April 23, 2013, 02:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanHadley

In the render window, you get the process indicator, the number of cores at work and a memory usage figure. What does this last no. mean?

For example, I open a 1.32GB BIP file (with 39 million triangles) on a machine with 128GB RAM and I obviously want Keyshot to use all the resources it can. It tells me all 24 cores are busy (which is good) but the memory figure is 355 MB. This is obviously a fraction of the BIP and an even smaller fraction of what the machine can hold.

I'd be curious to know what the 355MB represents and whether I should be concerned that Keyshot isn't using all the resources it could.

[Version is 4.0.74 64-bit. Data came from Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and OS is Windows 7-64 bit]

Ruckus

I can't explain that number in the KeyShot interface, but I would check the Task Manager-->Process tab-->Memory column for the KeyShot process, to get a more accurate estimate of how much memory is being used.

NormanHadley

Hi ruckus. That's a different figure again. According to Task Manager, keyshot4.exe is using just under 9GB.