Main Menu

Selecting Parts

Started by maymay, April 26, 2013, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maymay

Why does the Scene tab have to be active to select parts? I find this annoying, having to click the scene tab first to select a part.

jeffw

I hear that. I think you can actually select the part but you do not have the visual verification of it being outlined unless you are in the scene tab. I have always found this an irritating slow down. You should be able to select parts and see them highlighted no matter what tab you are in.

guest84672

You can always select parts, yet the highlighting is only active when you are in the scene tab. We may add this an option in the preferences, but before this happens, we will need to improve the highlight performance.

maymay

Thanks, Thomas. I was wondering if there was a technical reason why this worked this way.
There are some other minor issues I run into with selecting objects:

1. Link materials isn't in the right-click context menu in the render window, only the parts tree. (But unlink is)
2. Using the search filter to select all of the occurences of a single part isn't useful if you want to link them to a specific occurence of that same part. There's no way to select the material parent first and then all other occurences. If you working with an assembly that has a bunch of screws that aren't linked you have to manually select each one to link the materials. Can be tedious. Am I missing a better way to do this?
3. Objects highlighted have a collective silhouette, it's hard to know if you selected a part that is entirely within the highlighted silhouette.
4. There is no way to select objects through other objects. You have to find it in the tree or hide the object that is in front. I know this is probably technically hard to solve, but something like Solid Edge's QuickPick would be extremely useful.