render settings res > Dpi

Started by cadman3, May 05, 2013, 12:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman3

Hi guys,

Im a student using keyshot 3.3 and had a quick query....

I have the student version on my laptop with limited access to the pro version we have at University. We are about to produce our final year work and i need to produce hi res renders that are going on a proposal board 1510 mm x 1310 mm. I have done a test print with render off the student version (which is locked at 1920 x1013 and is a little grainy at this size) but was wondering if i increase the dpi past the standard print dpi of 300 would i get sharper images - this would effectively mean i could do my renders at home as opposed to wrestling with every other student trying to render out at this time of year?

Despot

No, that would not work... Are you just trying to get the largest image possible out of the student version ok KS ?.

By the way, you've posted this in the wrong forum section, it should be under 'General Discussion ' or 'Render Settings'

J

cadman3

well i'm trying to get an image that will be about 1 metre square (roughly) when it is printed out, so size is important but quality is also just as important but im very restrircted at the moment by the fact that the student version is locked to a maximum res of 1920x1013.

Ooops! sorry, i didnt realise, was rushing to get it posted!

Despot

Hello cadman3

For what you need to achieve, you would have to render an image out of KeyShot at 11811 x 11811...

That's the pixel resolution of a document at 300 DPI, 1 metre square

You might be able to get away with 150 DPI, but its still 5800 x 5800 give or take

So... all I can say is good luck

J

Speedster

Actually, I'm puzzled that the course requirement would be for so large a rendering even for a final assignment, since the size is way at the top limit of reasonable render time on even multi-core computers.  Not to mention an entire class waiting in queue for box time.  I would think that 16" (40cm) would be more reasonable, can be printed on most wide-format printers, and would project to wall size.  Maybe the instructor can reset the requirement?  It's actually about learning, not pro-studio presentation.
Bill G