Heads up- Adobe now only available as cloud based subscription

Started by Speedster, May 08, 2013, 06:59:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Just a heads-up.  Nothing to do with KeyShot directly, but will likely affect all of us.  If you feel this is inappropriate on our forum I'll remove it.

Adobe Corp. just announced (Reuters, 05/07) that effective June 17, all Adobe products (Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) will be available only by subscription as a "cloud based" service.  No hard or downloads will be offered.  See http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/creativecloud.html?sdid=JRSIM&skwcid=AL!3085!10!2327234414!20355427977&ef_id=UYpV3wAAAQJFKt2M:20130508134047:s

I'm sure Adobe has done their homework, and their decision to join the cloud community may be a logical business model for them.  But as for myself, I do not yet trust the cloud and totally dislike monthly autobilling, even though it's cheaper in the long run.

But most critical to me is that none of my medical device clients will allow cloud based computing due to security and FDA issues.  I realize that my end product deliverables are not in the cloud, but the originating app is, and they will not allow it as their policy prohibits cloud held applications.

Personally, I think there will be serious problems down the road.  Cloud is a great option, but it should be just that- one option.  Just a heads-up, and I'm sure this will be discussed more.

Bill G

DriesV

Yup, cloud is the way we'll all have to go.
I'm not entirely sure whether this will be a good thing too...

It's happening to software in pretty much every field.
F.i. SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual (the new SolidWorks that is also frequently dubbed 'Catia Lite', as it is based on Dassault's V6 technology) will also save to the cloud.
Speaking about SolidWorks...I'm keeping a close eye on which direction that is going in too. There's been a lot of increasingly heated debate (unsubstantiated?) about the discontinuation of SolidWorks in its current form (Parasolid kernel).

So far -in the CAD world- Siemens seems to be the one taking the 'wait-and-see approach' on this cloud hype (certainly Deutsche grundlichkeit at work there...). SolidEdge and NX are decidedly and most definitely FILE based. I'm personally more comfortable with files than with elusive databases where parts/assemblies are floating in the stratospere. ;D

Dries

Ed

I've subscribed to Adobe Creative Suite (Cloud) for the last 5 months and it works great.  But for me, this cloud subscription only makes sense at the moment because I use PS, After Effects and Dreamweaver.

I also own Corel Paint Shop Pro (some call it the poor man's Photoshop).  I find it can do most everything Photoshop does, and because I like the UI better, I hardly ever open PS.  So if anyone is looking for a stand-alone PS replacement, consider Corel PSP.

With Adobe's new cloud-only policy, I'd say the only folks who'll use it are those who make money with it.  People like me who use Creative Cloud just to support their own small business will likely seek stand-alone substitutes when the $600/year subscription gets excessive.  Of course if you want just a single Adobe app, the monthly subscription is $20 for now.

Ed

Speedster

I hope our KS Forum guys don't mind this thread, but I think it's important in that it affects all of us in some manner.

Being a SolidWorker, I'm really concerned by the directions that they and many other software companies are taking. In most medical device firms CAD software has to be validated, which is a huge IT hassle and usually causes major delays in annual upgrades.  I understand this is true in other fields, especially defense and aerospace.  I can just imagine how the Pentagon feels about cloud computing!

Anyway, we're definitely in a transitional era!  Some months back I was without internet for almost five days due to a construction mistake that trashed some 24,000 fiber-optic lines. Just glad I did not depend on the cloud for my work, other than a bad case of hives from "not being connected"!  My wife was overjoyed!  Just wait until the next big solar flare toasts everything...

Bill G

DriesV

Quote from: Speedster on May 08, 2013, 10:38:09 AM
Just wait until the next big solar flare toasts everything...

Yeah, I'll definitely need some of your steampunk contraptions when that happens... :D

Dries

tfinlay

Quote from: DriesV on May 08, 2013, 07:48:27 AM

So far -in the CAD world- Siemens seems to be the one taking the 'wait-and-see approach' on this cloud hype (certainly Deutsche grundlichkeit at work there...). SolidEdge and NX are decidedly and most definitely FILE based. I'm personally more comfortable with files than with elusive databases where parts/assemblies are floating in the stratospere. ;D

Dries

Not when you use Teamcenter  :(  Also, w/o Teamcenter, NX does a horrific job of file management  >:(

FaragoDesign

This is the Failure of subscription systems-  they are only as good as the software that runs them - Adobe failed to properly transfer our users to their new "Team" accounts - what do I tell MY customers - "Oops - sorry our software is broken"  Ugh >:(

Speedster

Very common, Farago, from what I've heard. 

And there's more.  I have been trying to get a boxed After Effects, but too late.  They have been "recalled", whatever that means.  I usually upgrade software like Adobe on a two-year cycle, and always near year end for tax balancing reasons.  SolidWorks is annual, but by my choice- I don't have to. But if I don't I'm hosed with my clients, as we're all stuck in the upgrade loop due to no backward compatibility.  Ditto my KeyShot upgrades, but each new release is an awesome upgrade and I support the company.

A side note:  my accountant told me that the cloud model subscription is considered a "lease" and cannot be expensed.  Sure, you get the tax write-off, but it's handled differently with less impact on a one-time basis.

I think Adobe (and others- I understand that Microsoft is considering it) is making a big mistake going to the cloud subscription model, as it hurts smaller firms like mine.  But whatever- I have no plans now for future Adobe or Photoshop upgrades, so they lose my sales over time. There are other options in the marketplace.  A large pro photo shop I deal with averages some 8-10 CS5 (now CS6) sales a week.  But no more...

I wonder if Elements will still be marketed at places like Costco?

R.I.P.

Bill G

DriesV

Yes, the subscription 'license' handling is still very finicky.
We had an Adobe CS6 Master Collection trial that we were somehow able to convert to Creative Cloud.
I still don't know what steps it took to pull it off. :o First I couldn't activate at all (also the information from Adobe about transitioning from CS to CC is very vague...). Then I clicked some buttons and suddenly -without further notice- it just works.

Dries