Texture scales wildly out

Started by NormanHadley, May 17, 2013, 05:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NormanHadley

Is this just me? I'm creating geometry in millimeters using Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and live linking into KS 4.0.74.

Regardless of whether I set the scale in KS (and the default is units:none) the textures come in as huge - as if they're operating on a metre scale. Like this.

NormanHadley

...so then I have to manually create new textures at 0.001 scale to get the brushed and cast finishes to look something like this...

Despot

I can't help you with issues on imports from a particular piece of software... but I have encountered similar problems when opening certain Luxion sample files, for instance the new Logo Ball, I find that I have to dramatically reduce or in some cases increase the scale for bump maps etc...

I just live with it, perhaps it will be fixed in the upcoming point release...

J

Esben Oxholm

Same problem here when live linking from creo2 to keyshot 4... So it's not only you. Haven't got a sollution though.

NormanHadley

There's a workaround whereby you set the scale to 0.001 and save the texture as "mm_Cast_Iron" or some such. Still,  it'd be nice if this were resolved in KS 4.1.

Chad Holton

Hi Norman,

I'm not able to obtain the same results that you are seeing. Would you be able to send me the Creo Elements file of the above part? If so, please send to chad@luxion.com.

Thanks,
Chad

NormanHadley

NormanHadley

This problem remains in KS4.1  :'(

Chad Holton

Hi Norman,

Are you using the latest plug-in?

Chad

NormanHadley

Hi Chad. I'm on plug-in 2.2 so I think that's as fresh as they come. Norman

Chad Holton

Strange - I just brought in your sample part (shown above), applied the red cast iron material (I think that's the one you had used) and it looks fine. I don't have to adjust the scale of anything. Using WF5 with 2.2 plugin and 4.1.35 for this test. Have you tested the same part as well?

NormanHadley

Hi Chad

There's definitely something strange going on. The attached image shows the part freshly imported to KS4.1.35 via plug-in 2.2. I dragged-and-dropped, from the standard library, the hammered aluminium (translation : aluminum) and scratched nickel. Bearing in mind this is a part 220 mm square (translation 9" x 9") those textures look mighty coarse to me. The scratching's been done with an axe and the hammering by Thor himself.

Obviously, I can scale textures down but it's an extra task and it's all too easy to miss a small part in an assembly. Then it's only when the rendering's finished that I spot a small fastener's been left with a texture like ploughed field.

Norman

Chad Holton

Oh, I see - The best solution here, I believe, is to scale the texture down to fit your needs and save the material. This way you only have to do it once and have the texture(s) scaled exactly the way you want.  ;)

Take care,
Chad

NormanHadley

Hi Chad. Yes, I know about the save as work-around but it would be nice to see it fixed in 4.2. Norman

Chad Holton

Your original issue has been fixed. Now you are seeing something else which is the texture scale not matching your needs. Granted there are some that need to be less Thor influenced.  ;D