Main Menu

Two way VR control

Started by 3D Off the Page, May 31, 2013, 07:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Off the Page

I would like to be able to create vr files that can be controlled in at least two directions.  For example if I have a simple turn table vr if the "slider" was in the center of the screen so that if I click and drag left the model rotates left.  If I click and drag right it rotates right. 

The next step would be if I could create animations that dragging  horizontally controlled one animation and dragging vertically controlled another.  For example horizontal controlled a rotation animation and vertically controlled a translation animation.

edwardo

Interseting, but would this not cause problems, specifically with 360 VR's (horizontal and vertical tumbles)?

Might work better if a 'translation' VR was activated whilst holding the option key or shift whilst dragging. Or in touchscreens/ipads two/three finger swipes as appose to a one finger swipe.

I had thought about this before, thinking it would be nice to be able to tumble a compact camera model in VR, but also 'open' the sliding mechanism and continue to tumble for a looksy. It dawned on me though that this would require a heck of a lot of frames (whatever amount for the VR multiplied by the amount of frames for the transition = lots). Then i just came to the conclusion that the end result might not be worth the render time and wear'n'tear on my computer.

But in an ideal world this would be great.

3D Off the Page

Great idea edwardo!!

If the user can hold a key to activate the additional action would be perfect.  If I take one of my models that has an animation of a shaft with gears spinning I could rotate it to the desired view then use the additional key to click and drag to run through the animation.  I also thought of the additional frames that need to be rendered but in the end if they want to pay for it we will provide it!!  Our designers would need to aware of the extra frames when selecting the number of angles to view from.

We now have our render farm up and running so the additional frames would still hurt in regards to render time but not as bad as running it on one of our workstations.