Keyshot window off screen

Started by bjorn.syse, June 05, 2013, 01:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjorn.syse

Hi

I'm having troubles with the keyshot windows appearing somewhere off my screen. That is, the application is started and down in the taskbar, but I can't switch to it to see it anywhere. All I can do is to right click the icon in the taskbar and exit it. And if I restart it, it's off screen again.

Only remedy I've found is to delete keyshot4.xml, but that also takes away all my settings and is not a preferred solution.

Regards

- Bj

guest84672

Don't delete the .xml file, but open it and edit the window position. We haven't found the reason why this actually happens. We keep digging.

bjorn.syse

Thanks, I will do that from now.

This line:

<mainwindow_position x="8" y="30"/>

?

Coordinates from top left, am I right?

Ruckus

Do you have a dual monitor setup? or have you ever had a dual monitor setup on this machine?

If so disconnect your second monitor (if it is not disconnected already).  Go into your monitor setup (both your windows/mac setup, and the setup from your graphics card manufacturer) and make sure that both are configured to for a single monitor.  Then try KeyShot (or any problem app) again.

If this works, reboot your machine in the single monitor mode, before trying to reconnect your second monitor.

I can't explain why, but sometimes dual monitor setups just loose track of where applications should be.

PS: The Wacom Cintiq tables are considered a second monitor, and seem more prone to causing this "off screen" condition.

guest84672

@bjorn.syse - yes, correct.

@Ruckus - I had it happen to me without dual monitor setup. It is very strange.

Ruckus

Thomas, I have not seen it on a single monitor system, but that sure doesn't mean it can't happen.

Don't ever get rid of that window position setting in an editable file.  Programs that don't have something like that and just rely on the operating system, can get "lost forever."  The only 100% solution I have found is to back up data, completely reslam the OS, and reload all the software.  Not fun.

Dave

Chad Holton

This has happened to me on earlier versions of KS4 & Windows. A quick fix is to hover your cursor over the KS icon in your taskbar, when the thumbnail shows up, right click on the thumbnail and choose "Maximize".

guest84672

@Ruckus - no worries ;-)

@Chad - thanks, Chad. I think it may have something to do with the auto-maximize function in Windows. But this is good to know.

Claus Jensen

This should not happen in the latest 4.1.

Claus