how to turn off shadows completely and render it in its own pass

Started by Konginchains, June 19, 2013, 12:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konginchains

I am just wondering if there is a way or workaround to rendering a shadow pass separately for all models in my scene in keyshot 4.0.74. Ideally, i would like to have a diffuse, spec, translucency and SSS, shadow pass all separate for tweaking in post.  of all this, the shadow pass is the most important, i would like to at least be able to separate it in its own layer.

I can turn of self shadows in my render settings, but they will only work in non hdr standard light setups. When you are using image based lighting HDRs, they render the shadows casted from the HDR even with self shadows turned off.

Konginchains

I mean all shadows, including the ones falling unto my character model, and being casted by the character's clothes, accessories, etc.

guest84672

The shadows turn off if you use HDRIs for lighting, but currently don't when you use physical lights.

PhilippeV8

Using the "flat" material type will let you render with no shadows, and in KS4, the clown pass lets you render that quickly ... only now, I don't think there is a way to get ONLY the shadows rendered ... like in a tiff file on a "shadow" layer with opacity.

Konginchains

Yeah that is true. although i dont really like to use the physical lights. (simple setting and no way to soften shadows)

As it turns out, the shadows do turn off and not get rendered in hdri environments, however when using the translucent material, will still render out shadows no matter what.

I'm wondering if keyshot would be working on an automated way to separate the render elements into multiple passes sometime soon, just like how it would be for renderers like vray and mental ray. It be nice if it would output the final rendered image into separate elements, like diffuse, specular, reflection, shadow, sss passes.

So far this program is just great, the quality of my work has improved dramatically. i can't help but recommend this program all to my friends and collegues.

guest84672

Thanks GMA - we will look into the translucent material issue.

The Pro version offers clown, geometric normal and depth pass. We will look into adding more passes in the future.