Main Menu

Gear Shifter Study

Started by Vince Haley, June 19, 2013, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Haley

Hey All,

This is my first post on the forum although I've been observing and drawing inspiration for quite some time now. I'm looking to grow my keyshot skills and am looking for honest critiques and helpful hints. I model majority of my products using Creo 2.0 with either technical surfacing, ISDX and Freestyle SubD. Lately I've been spending time growing the Freestyle Skills. Freestyle was used for these shifters.

Attached are a few images and the .ksp file where I was exploring chrome and mold-tech materials. Some of the details are not quite "popping" as I'd hoped especially as the light moves from the chrome onto the texture on the shifter. Also on the image with two shifters I modified the design to have a sharp style line in the top region of the leather portion of the knob. However, the current light does not make that detail stand out distinctly.

I welcome feedback in the form of a basic crit. or having a go at working with my .ksp file.

Thanks in advance,
Vince

Despot

Hello Vince

I downloaded your .KSP and played a bit...

For me, the whole key to getting something that looks presentable (not that I'm saying yours doesn't  ;) ) is in lighting... I used a HDRI that I use all the time (perhaps overused...) but with a few tweaks in HDR Light Studio.

Also, tweaking the materials helps a lot. In this case I used a preset Mold-Tech leather material (like you did) with the scale reduced somewhat, for the metal parts I used a custom chrome -  changing the colour to a slight blue hue, then using a custom bump map with a low scale and density to give a worn, used look.

I am prepared to upload this .KSP if you need it, but I cannot bundle the .HDRI, but I could possibly work another, similar one up if it suits your lighting needs.

J

Vince Haley

Metal Master,

Thank you for jumping right in and sharing some of your skill! Your image "pops" and is highlighting the form much better. The alternate camera angles are nice as well.

Quote from: The Metal Master on June 20, 2013, 03:11:12 AM

Also, tweaking the materials helps a lot. In this case I used a preset Mold-Tech leather material (like you did) with the scale reduced somewhat, for the metal parts I used a custom chrome -  changing the colour to a slight blue hue, then using a custom bump map with a low scale and density to give a worn, used look.

I am prepared to upload this .KSP if you need it, but I cannot bundle the .HDRI, but I could possibly work another, similar one up if it suits your lighting needs.

J

A few questions:

1) What Mold-Tech texture did you use and settings?

2) Did you use the KeyShot HDRI editor or the standalone third party software for creating the .HDRI environment? If you did not use KS's editor would I be able to achieve the same effect using KS's?

3) The bump mapping on the chrome is nice I assume it will be packaged in the .KSP file, correct? I've got some rims I've modeled that could benefit from having such a map applied to them.

So, yes please upload your .KSP for me to have a look at and try out.

Blessings,
Vince

Josh3D

Very cool case study gents! Welcome to the forums Vince--glad to see your mad Freestyle modeling skills on here ;)

jhiker

Hi Vince,
Hope you don't mind me chipping in...

I have tried to upload a *.ksp for you to play around with but it doesn't appear to be uploading to the forum and I don't know why.
It includes a Mold-tech texture for the grip and a 'scratch' bump map for the metalwork. The customised KS environment has a couple of highlights added to bring out the shape of the grip and I've applied a heavy vignette.
If you care to play with it PM me and I'll get it to you with 'Wetransfer' or something.