Main Menu

Lamborghini Miura SV

Started by richardfunnell, June 21, 2013, 02:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardfunnell

Hi everyone,

This is my first post with an actual rendering, I wanted to get some feedback on this image. The model is from turbosquid, and the environment was made from scratch with the HDR Light Editor. My goal was to try create soft studio lighting for a car, which is new for me.

Any feedback or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Ed

The Lamborghini Miura is my all time favorite car.  I'd love to see it rendered in yellow, a popular color for the Miura.  I think it would look bolder than the silver paint.

BTW - there is a YouTube video of one burning to the ground in London.  It's enough to make a grown man cry.

Ed

NDenekamp

Beautiful, I think you achieved your lighting goal!

The rubber of the tires looks a tad grey, but thats nitpicking!

My request would be the headlights propped up and on low beam ;)

Also, very neat ground material. What is it?

John B

Ed, that picture is enough to make a grown man cry  :'(

as for the rendering, it seems pretty good but the amber lights could use a bit stronger colouring and as for the tires... As a gearhead myself I can say that most people who own a Miura would not use anything short of the style (if not the exact tires) of tires used on the car, I would recommend doing a quick search on GrabCAD for some vintage tires  ;)
The wheels seem to be completely chrome when in truth the Miura's wheel's were not fully chromed. I would also recommend taking a look at the glass used for the lights as it seems almost too clear. Just some food for thought

richardfunnell

Oh jeez, that burning Miura is terrible  :(

Thank you very much for the feedback! I think that yellow is probably the way to go on this car, given its historical significance :D
I'll do some more work on it and try to post an updated image soon!

edwardo

This is beautiful, both car and render. I love how the ground reflection highlights the ground texture - subtle and nice. The image is a bit flat maybe, but only in comparison to automotive renders, and I like that actually - it honest, subtle and doesnt always need to 'pop' in your face. Some more reflection on the windscreen might bring it out a bit.

On another note, that burning car image has made me quite angry and brought back horrible memories of the riots. Rotten kids. Looting someones business or assaulting old age pensioners is one thing, but setting alight a 1969 V12 Lamborghini Miura in classic canary yellow is quite another thing - philistines!

Lovely work
Ed

Ed

@ edwardo -

The London fire was accidental.  The poor owner had just driven it away from his mechanic's shop.

Ed

edwardo

haha, oops, my bad. Just assumed it was those rotten kids during their rioting. OK, i wont be going to that mechanic. Either way its a sorry sight

Chad Holton

Always liked the Miura - yes, a yellow like Ed's reference picture (without the flames  ;D ) would look sweet.

Speedster

Anybody notice the well lit interior?  Sweet!
Bill G

Jeff Hayden

I ain't braggin or nothin but I was lucky enough to see one while at the Lamborghini museum while visiting the factory in Modena Italy a couple of years ago. Just another reason I love my job.

richardfunnell

Thanks for the great feedback, I really appreciate it!
Ok, made some changes on the scene, let me know what you guys think. I'm may have to go in an re-light this scene from scratch, some of the contrast got knocked down on this particular paint color :/
But the color and tires (without anachronistic label) now a better match to the original car, the environment was tweaked a bit, and more texture was added to the wheels and headlights. I'm trying to avoid work in Photoshop, so I wasn't able to retain a bright, sharp window highlight without lighting up the body parts. Any tips for that?

@Jeff - Insanely jealous, that's been on my list of places to go for years.

@ NDenekamp - I'm using the ground material with a slight bump (carbon fiber weave), .025 roughness, and a middle grey as my specular. I fell in love with textured ground planes :)

NDenekamp

Lookin' pretty in yellow there!

You're right thought, it lost some contrast in the process..

to get a little more dynamic in the lighting without starting from scratch, you might give the gamma l little kick in the settings panel? it needs just a tiny tiny bit more highlight and it would be perfect! The only thing I'm wondering is with the yellow colour, is this interior styling still appropriate?

Thanks for revealing your ground plane ;) (my next question would be how you get it to blend into the solid background  :-\ is it an alpha mask?)

N

Ed

Looking much better in yellow Richard.  Yeah - I would re-light it as the paint needs a good rubbing out and waxing :)

I would also check your camera lens setting - the front of the car looks a little distorted.

I'd go for this look in the reference below:

Ed

richardfunnell

Tweaking the lighting with brightness/contrast/gamma didn't help too much, I forgot about the 3 lighting planes I added to the scene to help bring out some highlights on the silver paint  ::)
Starting from scratch is a fun challenge anyway, since I've never tried to light something this yellow before  ;D
Thanks for the recommendation Ed, i'll try to make it shine!

If you use the ground plane material, it will blend into whatever environment/background color you have. In this case the only lighting on the ground plane is reflected from the car, so it kind of fades into nothing on the black background. I've had good luck not needing an alpha if I stuck with ground material + bump map.