Unlink

Started by EGON, July 01, 2013, 08:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EGON

Can someone explain when it works and when it doesn't?

TpwUK

It should always work - I raised an issue about it with KS3 when you unlink it would be better if it got changed to 'KS Default', instead of which you get 'ThisMaterial#1',  this rapidly becomes very confusing for me on large projects where same colours are used along with names that are too long for the materials list to display. Is this what is confusing you too ?

Martin

EGON

I think I'm doing something wrong when I apply materials.

guest84672

Drag and drop from the library will NOT link materials, even if it is the same over and over.
Drag and drop from the in-project material library will link the parts with the same material.
After applying a material to a part, you can copy (shift left click) and paste AND link (shift right click). If you don't want this, then use shift ctrl (cmd) right click.

If you drag and drop a material onto a group in the scene tree, all parts in that group will assume the same material and be linked.

UNLINK:
Right click on part in real time window or scene tree to remove from group bt selecting "unlink material"
Right click on group and select "unlink material" to unlink all parts in that group

I hope this helps.

jhiker

Quote from: Thomas Teger on July 02, 2013, 05:00:54 PM
Drag and drop from the library will NOT link materials, even if it is the same over and over.
Drag and drop from the in-project material library will link the parts with the same material.
After applying a material to a part, you can copy (shift left click) and paste AND link (shift right click). If you don't want this, then use shift ctrl (cmd) right click.

If you drag and drop a material onto a group in the scene tree, all parts in that group will assume the same material and be linked.

UNLINK:
Right click on part in real time window or scene tree to remove from group bt selecting "unlink material"
Right click on group and select "unlink material" to unlink all parts in that group

I hope this helps.
Certainly helps me - I didn't know half that stuff - where's it documented?

guest84672

It actually is documented in the manual. Maybe not as concise as it is here.

EGON

guest84672

PhilippeV8

Visiting a forum without reading (as in "Who reads?") is like using KS without rendering ... (although lately, you could use it as a "convert to OBJ" tool .........) :p

guest84672