KeyShot Toon Challenge W.I.P.

Started by DriesV, July 01, 2013, 03:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

DriesV

What do you think of the sense of speed?
I tried to make the avatar roll not snaily slow, nor blazing fast (because then the movements and camera actions get crazy...).

Dries

TpwUK

Speed is ok because we don't know it's weight or mass, if it's not too late, it could do with a little bounce or two when it hits the track surface again.

Martin

DriesV

Quote from: TpwUK on July 19, 2013, 03:41:59 AM
Speed is ok because we don't know it's weight or mass, if it's not too late, it could do with a little bounce or two when it hits the track surface again.

Martin

Yeah, I did the bouncing during testing and it does look really great!
However, it requires at least 2 additional animations (ease out UP + ease in DOWN) for every 'avatar drop'. There sure is a lot of jumping and dropping going on. :)
And then things are further complicated by having to synchronize the avatar animations with the wheel rotation, as well as with the boobytrap actions...

So -for the challenge entry- I'm not going to implement bouncing.
I might do it afterwards though for a PR HD version. ;)

Btw, the same goes for keeping the avatar upright when it rotates sideways on the curved track. It looks more natural, but it is a hell to manage animation-wise when the avatar is moving sideways a lot. (Which is the case...)

Dries

DriesV

It's why one of my most recent 'Wishes for the Future' is oscillating animations. ;)

Then you could do even a double bounce with a single animation (versus four now).

Dries

TpwUK

I understand, as much as I love KS i don't want to see it going too far down the animation route and I totally respect you not wanting to go too far with this, KS was never really meant as an animators tool, more a designers 3D viz presentation toolkit at which it sings like no other, but it's a difficult marriage, we need the extra functionality for projects like your doing here, but then wont need them to show Mr Hobbs your latest toaster idea if you get my drift ... I still can't wait to see the result though .... 7 days to wait or less, lol

Martin

DriesV

Quotei don't want to see it going too far down the animation route

I think there IS some serious potential leeway to be gained in the animation department though. :)

I'm currently counting 25 material types.
Why can't there be more than 3 model animation types (turntable, translation, rotation)? Adding a few specialized animation types alongside the standard ones -like oscillating translations/rotations- would make complex animations MUCH easier to manage. Easier is better, right? ;)

Dries

NormanHadley

Dries,  if you don't get poached by Pixar after this, my name's not Lightning McQueen.

Signed
LMQ

TpwUK

QuoteI'm currently counting 25 material types.
Why can't there be more than 3 model animation types (turntable, translation, rotation)? Adding a few specialized animation types alongside the standard ones -like oscillating translations/rotations- would make complex animations MUCH easier to manage. Easier is better, right? ;)

Hell yeah, Easier is always better in my book. And what you ask is not much, and I would like to see things in there too. Animated materials or roto-scoping being able to animate the scale of an object etc etc, but eventually we will start bumping into physics, after all we have the best most realistic light handling render engine, and then all those lovely extras will thump up the price beyond the hobbyist like me and i'll weep like a baby that's had the top of his ice cream slide off cone in the heat.

Martin

DriesV

Yay! I got all my animations set up now.
Tomorrow will be all about fully materializing the scene.

Dries

DriesV

Getting close to final opening credits. ;D
I try to get a F-Zero vibe going on...

Also a shot with some final planets.

Dries

TpwUK

Looking better and better

Martin

DriesV

Quote from: TpwUK on July 20, 2013, 04:33:43 AM
Looking better and better

Martin

Oh, I added bounce on several places. ;)

Dries

TpwUK

Excellent, you probably can get away with it other than on the close-ups. I didn't realise until today that you can drag n drop animation settings to the other members in a scene so where you was on about the smooth in smooth out or dampening effect, you would only need to do it once, then you can replicate where needed and just adjust the timeline to suit .... Learning still :P

Martin 

DriesV

Phew! Finally finished...

And now on to rendering. ;)

Dries