KeyShot scene preview shell extension

Started by Despot, July 09, 2013, 05:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

I hate posting in the 'Rants' section...

But I am slightly miffed that there is no way to get a thumbnail preview of a KeyShot scene without opening it - It would be great if there were a windows shell extension that could allow this...

I have 2,300 KeyShot scenes totalling 26 Gigabytes on my HD and I'm not sure which ones I want to archive or delete without manually opening each one !!

J

guest84672

That is actually not true. On the Mac you can get the preview with Quick Preview, and when you show the content of a folder in cover flow. On Windows you will have to switch "icons" I believe.

guest84672

Just found out that icons don't work for Windows. We are working on it. But the preview pane works.

edwardo

The thumbnails DO work on a mac, however I find them a bit unreliable (sometimes the image is 'corrupt'). When they work, which is most of the time, they are very small, which is fine in most cases. More often than not I do a quick screengrab and stick it in that project folder.

Im by no means ranting, the low res thumbnail is fine 99% of the time

Edwardus

guest84672

We can probably increase the resolution which will be helpful especially when working on a Retina display.

Despot

Oh my god thank you !!!  the preview pane has just saved countless hours of slog...

Thanks Thomas

J

guest84672

edwardo

If only I had a retina display - theyre awesome!

Ruckus

Quote from: Thomas Teger on July 09, 2013, 07:00:00 AM
... But the preview pane works.

Do you mean the Windows Exporer preview pane? mine just says "No preview available"
Or do you mean something else?

Despot

Hello Ruckus

Yes, he meant the windows preview pane (Win7 64bit)

It worked for me - not sure about previous KS versions and/or different Window OS's

J

Ruckus

Still nothing.

I am running KS Pro Floating 4.1.35 (but it was installed without first removing 4.0.74 and 3.3.33 is still installed, or maybe it is license related with the floating version?)

Windows 7 Enterprise edition Service pack 1, with way more than enough RAM and CPU.
I didn't find anything that looked wrong in the folder options.

Any and all educated or wild guesses (be polite) are welcome.

KeyShot

You may have to run the full installer.

maymay

I get the same thing as Ruckus. What exactly is the full installer? I don't have a floating license like Ruckus. Ver 4.1.35. I don't have older versions installed either.

maymay

Quote from: KeyShot on July 10, 2013, 02:45:40 PM

Thanks, KeyShot - I see what you mean by the full installer after going to the latest version thread. That did the trick, preview pane now works.

Ruckus

Quote from: KeyShot on July 10, 2013, 02:45:40 PM
Well...  I had run the full installer - but it was run in silent mode for a distribution (automated installation) to 24 machines.

After Maymay's success, I tried reinstalling it "by hand" on one machine, going through all the prompts.  And it worked!!!

So, my guess is that something is not getting set correctly (in the registry?) when using the silent option to install from the command line.  I think you can appreciate that I do not want to install KeyShot by sitting down at each users machine 24 times.

Hopefully this can get fixed for an upcoming release.