Colow management question.

Started by EGON, July 10, 2013, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EGON

EGON

Ruckus

sRGB

But only because your images will still appear as you intended them to for people still using older versions of IE that did not support embedded profiles.  (Monitor variation aside)

DriesV

icc profile in KeyShot preferences?

I use the icc file that was generated by profiling my main display (X-Rite i1Display Pro). KeyShot can currently only load one icc profile, so I'm only getting correct colors on my main display.
Things are a bit different for monitors that have an internal programmable LUT (3D look up table/matrix) (which I think your NEC has...). When using calibration tools (like your NEC's SpectraView) on these monitors, the monitor itself is calibrated using the icc data. Most common monitors do not have an addressable LUT (like both of mine). So you're basically limited to profiling the graphic card's LUT.

With internally addressable LUT monitors you still need the icc profile at OS level, mostly for reference. The color corrections are actually carried out in the display.
One of the big benefits of having such a high-end screen is that they allow for +8 bit color channel depth (R, G, B). Windows, graphic card LUT and DVI are limited to 8 bit per channel. On images with colors well beyond the typical sRGB space, these monitors will show (subtle) differences: less color banding, smoother gradients, better color accuracy.

In summary: you need to hardware calibrate your NEC monitor, load the icc profile (from calibration) at OS level and load this icc profile in the KeyShot preferences.

Dries

EGON

I loaded my display profile. Still looks way different in PS. What profile do I use to get KS to look like PS? I tried them all.

guest84672

Did you load the profile in KeyShot under Preferences?

DriesV

KeyShot renderings have no color profile embedded.
What I find to work really well (to get matching colors between KS and PS) is to assign your monitor profile to the document when opening renderings in PS.
I've configured PS to always ask what color profile to assign when there's nothing embedded in the image.

My reason for doing this is that in KS you're working with your monitor's spcific color space (when you've loaded the icc profile in Preferences). It makes sense to have a 'linear' process and tag (assign profile) your renderings in PS to view them in the same color space. After your work is done in PS you can still convert to a general color space to get consistent colors on other devices.

Dries

DriesV

Take a look at these PS-KS side-by-side comparisons.

1st screenshot is with monitor profile assigned upon opening.
2nd screenshot is with Adobe RGB profile (1998) assigned upon opening.

I think the first case is a far better match.

Dries

DriesV

Here's another example.

1st image again monitor profile assigned on opening.
2nd image Adobe RGB profile assigned on opening.

Dries