Can a .bip file get corrupt ?

Started by EGON, July 10, 2013, 09:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EGON

One of my files is acting weird with the hdr editor. After I save changes the highlights go away on my model. Then I have to open the editor and move a slider a touch to get them back.Then when I go to render it asks me to save . I save and back to flat again.

TpwUK

Any file can become corrupted - The only real thing I can suggest is if you have a back-up file then do a CRC check up on the offending file

Martin

Robb63

Sadly, it's happened to me several times,although not for quite a while!! Is there a fingers crossed emoticon?

PhilippeV8

I sometimes have a lock up going on near or during save file action ... which results in a CTD and when i open the file, there's nothing there .. geometry is gone.
That's why I never "save", but only "save as v.00x"

TpwUK

oh yes PhilippeV8 everyone should learn that serialised saves are a real life saver ... Not seen the option in KS to do an incremental save, I wonder if it's there ?

Martin

KeyShot

We have not seen any issues with 4.1 corrupting files. Serialized saving is a good idea. We will add it.

EGON

It was a crappy image anyway. I notice once you start to use the HDRI edit things get a little hinky. For me anyway. I've learned to work around it.

TpwUK

Ahh binary toilet fodder, i suffer from that badly too, but at least i am never artistically constipated  ::)

Martin

xuewuyang

Serialized saving is a good idea.

Claus Jensen

Serialized saves / revision history has been added to the next version 4.2.

fario

My modeling software has an automatic incremental backup to a backup folder of the user.

Backup folder:
files:
blabla.bk0.sfk
blabla.bk1.sfk
blabla.bk2.sfk
blabla.bk3.sfk
blabla.bk4.sfk

then the number 5 replaces the file number 0, and so on.

This sometimes saved my life ....

In addition, in my modeling work, I save after every hour of work with a file increment 0, 1, 2, etc.. This allows me to return to a job step that would have been corrupted.

I welcome this initiative to 4.2, even though I did not have at the moment, no problems of corrupt files in KS.

Antoine

KeyShot

There are some rare cases with past releases where this could happen. Hardware issues could also cause this. Serialized saves are also useful to get an overview of the progress.