Main Menu

Whisky and glass

Started by malayutou, July 13, 2013, 06:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malayutou

The model is downloaded from gradbox,and I remodel the glass a little.
In the scene,I put two ball with emissive material(one red,one yellow ) above the glass.Because I want it like in a bar with colour shining light.I apply some noise bump to the liquid and ice cube.The hdr is office desk 2k122.hdz.
I've never been in a bar in person,so I'm not sure whether the light is proper. Any suggestions  ?Thanks.

guest84672

How did you model the glass / liquid?

malayutou

Hi Thomas,I tried to upload the KSP file,but it's too big,I failed.I model the glass and liquid in Rhino.There is small gap between the glass and liquid.I upload the OBJ and 3DM file here.I use liquid material to the liquid,and solid glass material to the glass.

TpwUK

Hi malayutou, I have two shot glasses with whiskey available on GrabCAD ....

http://grabcad.com/library/another-shot-tumbler-1
http://grabcad.com/library/part-filled-tumbler

Feel free to download them and then add your ice cubes or just learn from the models. I hope you don't mind but here's the result of a render using 4.1 and caustics

Martin

malayutou

Thanks,Martin.I will download the model.I didn't realize something is wrong with my model,did you find something wrong.Do you guys think the bottom of my glass is too thin?

TpwUK

The art of doing liquid within a glass is to have the liquid part trim the glass and then to apply a chamfer/fillet to that resulting edge and the liquid top to create the friction surface tension thing you get if you closely where real liquid meets real glass and you will see what i mean. When you trim the glass with the liquid top, the glass part then needs setting to be liquid material and no longer glass, the you will get true refraction and caustic effects etc.

All the best with it and post back your results please

Martin

Speedster

Quotefriction surface tension thing

It's called the "meniscus".  A good way to model it is a simple small revolve on the liquid model.
Bill G

guest84672

Take a look at the wine glass that we've included with the KeyShot installer. It shows the best way of setting up a glass with liquid, and also how to set the parameters properly.

malayutou

Quote from: TpwUK on July 15, 2013, 04:46:45 AM
The art of doing liquid within a glass is to have the liquid part trim the glass and then to apply a chamfer/fillet to that resulting edge and the liquid top to create the friction surface tension thing you get if you closely where real liquid meets real glass and you will see what i mean. When you trim the glass with the liquid top, the glass part then needs setting to be liquid material and no longer glass, the you will get true refraction and caustic effects etc.

All the best with it and post back your results please

Martin

thanks,Martin.The idea you model the glass and liquid is really new to me.I wiil try it .

malayutou

Quote from: Speedster on July 15, 2013, 05:46:56 AM
Quotefriction surface tension thing

It's called the "meniscus".  A good way to model it is a simple small revolve on the liquid model.
Bill G
OK.Thanks,Bill G.I will try.