Picking 'Save' from File menu or Ctrl+S sometimes not saving!

Started by DriesV, July 19, 2013, 12:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

I lost oodles of work this night (around 3 hrs), because hitting Save (or Ctrl+S) wasn't actually saving.

I had been working on a scene for 1.5hrs, hit Save from time to time and quit KeyShot. Upon reopening my scene none of the stuff from the past 1.5hrs was in there!

It's not clear to me how this behavior can be triggered, but it happened on two occasions. Sometimes the scene just doesn't save...
Doing a 'Save as...' still works though.

Dries

Despot

Get this all the time Dries... Although it's annoying I've never lost work because of it

J

DriesV

Well, if you do Ctrl+S, see a save bar flashing by, assume things got saved and close KeyShot... then you do lose stuff. ;D

Dries

Al Baldi

Arian Shamil

I had this problem with Ks4....now I've the same problem with Ks5....some news?

Trackless

We're having this problem when trying to save to a UNC path.  If we save locally, it works but won't save unless you choose Save As... and give it a new name.  User has full permissions on the file share...

Chad Holton

Trackless

Sorry... of course.
KeyShot 5.0.99 running on Windows 7 64-bit

Chad Holton

What happens when you don't do a "save as" and just save? Do you get an error message or anything?

Trackless

The save progress dialog appears for a short time but quickly disappears.  No error messages at all... the file just doesn't save.

Chad Holton

Would another user have the same file open, perhaps? When this happens again, check to see if the file is "read-only" under the BIP file's properties.

Trackless

He's the only user with KeyShot so it wouldn't be open anywhere else.  I don't see any indication in KeyShot that the file is read-only and the Windows file properties dialog has the read-only attribute unchecked.

Trackless

I just sat with the user who uses this program and I can't believe how times this program crashes.  In the 20 minutes at his desk, he had to restart KeyShot after a crash at least 5 times.  All he was doing was trying to save a material to the library/favorites.  He says that the program has always crashed this often.  We didn't really try KeyShot 4 but I'm starting to think we may have to go backwards...

Are we the only ones experiencing frequent crashes?

red_orca

I'm having this issue as well.

My file is located on a network server - not my local drive. Using KS 5.0.99.

I just 'Save', it will appear to save the file. But when I close the program and open the saved file. No changes been saved.

I tried using 'Save As' over the top of the existing file, using the same name. Indicates a successful save but once again, no changes have been saved.

The only way to I'm having success is to Save As a new filename. But even then after the save is complete and I close KS, it will ask if I want to save/discard changes. I say 'save', then the program will crash.

I'm on Windows 7 (64)

I used to have this problem in a previous version too. Can't remember which one though.