sketchup model renderd in keyshot, but not yet totally finished. =D

Started by jeth, August 09, 2013, 09:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeth

hi, i just wanna share this sketchup model which i rendered in keyshot.. although it's not yet totally done, cause i'm still looking for better background image. =D

TpwUK

That motor bike needs to get it's rear wheel on the ground too

jeth

jeth

TpwUK

jeth

jeth

haha, yeah... i know u noticed it was the grass cloned, just to hide the rear wheel =D

Snowbird

@jeth, can I ask what lighting environment you used? I'm new to KeyShot and trying to figure out how to cast shadows. I'm used to controlling the sun position, and can't seem to get objects to cast shadows on themselves.

jeth

hi there snowbird. actually, i used the outdoor environment in keyshot library, then i edited the HDR image in project tab.

you can rotate the hdr image to to control the light, reflection, and shadows..

Snowbird

When you say you edited the image in the project tab, do you mean you changed the rotation and elevation and so on?
I have been trying a whole bunch of the environments, both indoor and outdoor, and I can't get any of them to have elements cast shadows on other elements...only on the ground plane. This seems so confusing! I'm used to setting the sun angle and controlling shadows that way. I've also made a disk that I assigned as a light, but that doesn't work either (except, again, to cast ground shadows).

I feel like I must be missing something here...

Snowbird

I think I'm FINALLY beginning to get this. I downloaded a bunch of IES light profiles and that has made a world of difference.
I just wish there were a sun angle calculator like you find in nearly every 3D program these days (Rhino, Revit, SketchUp, etc.). It really takes quite a bit of fiddling around to get the light to cast shadows as you want, and then it isn't necessarily corresponding to the actual sun angle in an architectural environment. I'm getting the feeling that KeyShot is really marketed at product and object designers, more than architects. The learning curve for architectural applications has been a LOT higher than I anticipated given what is promoted on the videos. Oh well...

Speedster

@snowbird;

Be patient with yourself and KeyShot.  Like any app, it takes a bit of effort to find out how to use the tools and then apply them to your specific need.  Those of us who have been using KeyShot for awhile (5 years for me) have witnessed a truly remarkable growth and evolution in rendering.  Starting with automobiles, the initial primary objective, we've seen it develop onto other uses such as product rendering, and only recently have the figurative artists come on board with their amazing work.  All because KeyShot is evolving along with us- it's a two-way street.

Just a year or so ago it was almost impossible to render an interior without blowing out walls and ceilings to allow light in. Now it's (almost) a piece of cake with IES and Diffuse lighting capability.  As you know, architectural rendering is always more difficult than meets the eye as there are so many other factors in play, including sun angle, as you note.  But it can be done.

I'm very sure that the Luxion Team is addressing requests like yours, as they have proven to do over the past years.  I have never seen a company so responsive to user input as KeyShot.

Here's a rendering of a live/work "compound" I'm designing for ourselves in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  It likely won't be built now as we have found an ideal existing property, but I am continuing with it for the knowledge and experience I'll gain.  I apologize for dropping it into jeth's thread, and I do so only to show you that it can be done.  Lighting with 2 Area Diffuse lights, and a simple HDR at almost zero brightness.

Bill G

fario

jeth

@speedster;

yes, i agree that patience really matters. before, i don't know what to do with keyshot, i not familiar with its setting and features, but what i did ------- watch tutorial on youtube...I've read tutorials too on forums, until i got myself convinced and motivated to use keyshot as my rendering engine.

and Snowbird, i apologize that i couldn't answer well your questions. just like you, I'm still a newbie  ;) but keep on trying and exploring ,then you will see that keyshot can do the job like other 3d software does =)

Snowbird

@Speedster,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been emailing KeyShot support directly and am finally beginning to get this to work. The biggest gripe I have is the paucity of documentation. It has taken way more experimentation and trial and error to get it to work (and substantially plus the help of those support emails) than I think should be necessary. The ground plane is barely discussed for example, and basically says should be as small as possible. Well I was working with a large bridge rendering and the ground plane wasn't showing up at all until I manually entered in 2000 for a size (beyond the 100 that the slider stops at, which is completely non-intuitive). I then found that the modified model the support person (Bruno) sent back to me had been scaled down to 1/10 the original. Nowhere is that documented! There simply needs to be more and clearer documentation and examples with regard to architectural-scale applications, as opposed to, say jewelry or smaller artifacts.

So, yes, I'm gradually getting this, but the hype that this is the easiest render program out there is way overblown. I now see that folks like you and jeth and others are getting great architectural renderings, but that is clearly not the focus of the product as I now realize. I'd like to know, still, for example, how one varies the sun angle to render, say a late afternoon sun with deep shadows? Do you need several different environments with the sun at varying angles? The rotate gizmo on the environment setting merely spins the light direction about the Z axis as far as I can tell. Size and elevation do not affect the outdoor environments in any perceptible manner. If Luxion is interested in marketing this more widely to architects and landscape architects, it would seem a sun angle calculator similar to other render programs would be high on their to-do list.

So, thanks for your encouragement and sharing your impressive results. This looks to be a very friendly community of designers, so I'm glad that others are so willing to share their experiences!