Strategies for simulating sun/sky?

Started by DriesV, August 11, 2013, 08:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

What are your strategies for simulating sun/sky lighting?
Especially in relation to interior rendering...
I know that -eventually- KeyShot is going to include a sun/sky system, but I'm just polling for solutions for the time being. ;)

A very strong point light at a great distance works quite well for the sun (the sun part of a sun/sky system), but I'm always struggling with simulating 'atmospheric lighting' (the sky part of a sun/sky system). I'm only interested in fully enclosed interiors (not hiding parts of walls or ceiling).

I already tried:
*point light as sun + even color/brightness HDRI as sky
*point light as sun + oversized rectangular area light in front of window openings (to act as light portal to simulate diffuse sky light)
*completely black HDRI with a tiny, very bright pin light as sun +  oversized rectangular area light in front of windows

None of these approaches gives me 100% satisfactory results.
Are there any other ways?

Dries

edwardo

Hi

Personally I'd love to see a good tutorial on this subject. I know keyshot isn't geared towards interior shots, but I'd like to know a few workarounds, tricks and tips. Really looking forwards to the day velux visualiser technology is incorporated into keyshot somehow

Speedster

QuoteI know keyshot isn't geared towards interior shots

Actually, now, in KS 4.1 with IES lights and Point and Area Diffuse lights, KeyShot is becoming an almost perfect platform for interior renders, as recent Amazing Shots posts show.  The ability to create "sun" or "Moon" through windows is also quite easy, and by using interior IES and Diffuse fixtures and/or lights you don't need to hide roofs or walls to allow the HDR to penetrate.  I have tried to animate a "sun", but it's very jerky in motion.

Bill G

TpwUK

@ Bill & Edwardo - I was doing some tests on interiors but my trial license has now expired and it needs someone to follow up on it see here, http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,6498.0.html, there are two versions to play with, one with limited furnishings and one without

Sorry Dries for posting off topic - But agree that Keyshot needs better environments for architectural or large scale projects, where fogging and volume lighting would really come in handy, especially volumetric lighting.

All the best guys

Martin