Un-link for native CAD mapping

Started by Speedster, August 22, 2013, 09:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

This may not be possible in KeyShot, but it sure would be neat!  We already have Link and Unlink in the Scene Tree, etc.  But many times a part is re-used in various assemblies.  But if you then import these various assemblies, applying a material to the common part applies it a to all of the instances. 

The parts have to be saved in CAD as different names or configurations, which solves the problem but can be quite confusing and time consuming.

So to would be nice if there was a way to truly "un-link" all parts, not just materials, in KeyShot.

Bill G

KeyShot

I am not sure I understand how this would work? If you have different parts with the same material and you unlink then you will have different parts with different materials. Unless the parts become one object in KeyShot then you can always unlink them.

Speedster

Say I have six automobiles.  Each Top Assembly uses the same wire wheel, called "Wire Wheel".  Of course, the wheel is under one name, and may have one (or more) colors mapped to it.

So I create an assembly of my six cars, like a dealer show room or something.

Naturally, all the cars have the same wheels.

But when I apply materials, I want one car to have red wheels, another black wheels and another yellow wheels.

The only way I can accomplish this is to have "Saved As" each wheel with a different name in CAD.  It does not matter about the color(s), as each is discrete.  If the wheel and tire is a sub-assembly, then each sub, for each car, also has to be saved under a specific name or configuration.

That's the way it works now.

What I'd like to see is the ability to un-link all of the wheel combinations within KS, so that each wheel or wheel/tire combo is unique and discrete, then re-link them to suit, all within KS.

As I said, it's likely not possible, but the hypothetical example above is actually not uncommon in large assemblies.

Bill G

KeyShot

If you select the wheels on one car and 'unlink materials' then you will be able to assign unique materials to the wheels on that car. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve?