Wierd Geometry Colour Change

Started by cadjockey, September 09, 2013, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadjockey

Hi All

I have a solidworks assembly imported but I am getting some wierd colour changes on the model. Basically imagine that the model is split into four quadrants, the bottom right quadrant is wrong, the others are fine. I have a single part with a single material which scans both bottom quadrants but the finish is different with a sharp edge in the centre.  I thought it maybe an odd reflection from the environment or being too small, so I enlarged it and rotated it but no difference.

Picture attached, the same sharp line goes up to the centre then right.

It appears to be geometry related, I just imported a single cube and placed it right by the part and applied the same material, but that is fine (although the scale is different?????) .bip attached

Any thoughts?

Rich

TpwUK

My guess is that you have a dual surface or an overlap of some-sort

Martin

cadjockey

doesn't appear to be, the line extends up through several different parts. (not shown)
the model imported fine the first time with scaling enabled, this time the only difference I think was i selected original scale

TpwUK

Ok - I downloaded your Bip and had a look. If you zoom in real close to the join line, then start to pan the view or rotate etc you will see a moire pattern effect on the darker side of the part as it starts to render, this pattern is typical of two surfaces sharing space that is so fine the render engine can't work out which is on top, the problem will be in your original part file.

If you mirrored the part with that surface selected as an example, it's possible that the whole part got mirrored, plus the surface selected  so you get the extra surface sharing the same space. If you can split your part back into individual surfaces and then select and hide surfaces one by one hopefully you will find it

I could still be wrong so no promises

Martin

cadjockey

thanks for taking the time.
I re-imported the same file using the same settings and its fine this time. The original file in soldworks had no mirrors etc either. Strange thing is the other parts that weren't shown had the same issue.
Appears to be a quirky import bug, but could be wrong. can't recreate :)

TpwUK

Cool - Glad you have it sorted :)

Martin