"Echwachem" My first deep architectural project

Started by Speedster, September 10, 2013, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Finally finished my design for a "Live-Work Compound" we're thinking of building in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  Bit of a stretch for a medical device and product designer, but hey, it keeps the brain alive!  However, if we do build it I'll turn it over to a professional building designer.  Also this allowed me to expand my portfolio, never a bad thing!

Modeled in SolidWorks, rendered in KeyShot Pro 4.1.35, with my own dome via HDR LightStudio, set at .001 for interior and .008 brightness for the exterior shots.  Physical lights are IES for interior and Area Diffuse for the porch lights.  Entry and garage doors, and most foliage, from CG Textures, with bumps created in FilterForge.  A lot of time was spent on textures!  Used a "water" normal for the overall adobe texture to capture the wavy hand-applied mud that is traditional adobe, with a specular that l did in Photoshop, looking like a star field, to capture the sheen of straw and micaceous clay that's used in the mix.  Sofa, Eames chairs, coffee table and side chairs from GrabCAD, the rest are mine modeled on our own furniture.

I cut viewports in the walls for camera access, using a .0005 cut, like cutting a hole in drywall with a scroll saw- this resulted in solid bodies that I could hide/show, and the cut can't be seen in the renders.

The first (daylight) shot shows the compound in a typical context, overlooking the Rio Grande River, in Northern New Mexico.  But Santa Fe is truly magical at sunset, so I chose that as the theme for this first round of images.  Also shown is a "toon" presentation concept  very appropriate for potential client presentation.

The portrait of Two Hatchet, a famous Kiowa warrior, is by my wife Geri and Native American artist (Gabrieleno/Tongva, of California), while the wild mustangs are by her cousin Billy Sosa Warsoldier (Cahuilla/Apache), a well known Native American activist and painter.

Comments are most welcome!  And remember, we all benefit and learn!

Bill G
PS: Echwachem means 'We are Here' in Geri's tribal language.  It's used in all prayers to the Creator.  We feel it's a fitting name for our home...

Josh3D

These are really nice Bill! You have great taste in furniture btw :) First I recall seeing your wife's art and I'm no less impressed. fabulous. I still think you need that rooftop terrace though!

Chad Holton

You and your wife do awesome work! A great team you two make. When/if this house if built, you'll have to share some real pics.