SU import textures

Started by PhilippeV8, October 08, 2013, 06:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Is there a way for me to transfer from SU (v8.0.11752) to KS without losing my photo-real-textures I've put on in SU ?

I tried skp, I tried colada dae, I tried to KS3.3.33, I tried to KS4.0.74 ... no joy.

thomasteger

They should come right in. Can you share the model where this is not the case?

PhilippeV8

thomasteger

We will check into it. Thanks.

Chad Holton

Hey Philippe,

I can't get your link to work. Would you care to send it to chad@luxion.com using this: keyshot.wetransfer.com

Thanks,
Chad

PhilippeV8

I'll have to take the file home then tonight and do it from there.  Can't access no wetransfer or such from work.
I'm off work in 5 minutes.  Let me find my USB-stick and I'll try to get this to you within the next 2h.

THNX !

PhilippeV8

Quick question 'bout our local "wetransfer" .. can you not open the page, or does the download link to the file not work ?

Chad Holton

The first link you provided, the page didn't exist on my end. What you sent to my email is working just fine though - downloading now.  :)

Thanks,
Chad

Chad Holton

Thanks for sending. There's some odd stuff going on, indeed. I will send to the dev team.

PhilippeV8

PhilippeV8

I'm doing some testing here .. could it have anything to do with "Positioned Textures" ?

http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/94874

PhilippeV8

I have a project where I need some results by monday morning (CET) .. should I wait for a fix, or should I start looking for a work-round ?  (not to pressure you guys tho !)

Chad Holton

From what I've tested so far, importing this into 4.2 will bring the textures in but the scale (and placement, possibly) was way off. The plugin wasn't bringing them in at all. Not sure if this will even be fixed in the first release of 4.2 just yet (depends on how busy the dev team is).  :-\ 

PhilippeV8

Ok, so it imports the texture, but doesn't account for the "position" of the texture where you can move/scale/skew/distort the image on a surface.  The only way to "bake" these edits into an indivudual copy or a single texture for that specific surface is to "make unique texture" inside sketchup (which will crop the used image as well).  Having to do this for every textured surface individualy could be a long work ...

Anyway, thnx for the heads up !

I start looking for a different approach.

PhilippeV8

I figured something out !!

If I copy the aplied textures to the back of the faces in SketchUp (e.g. building foto maps) .. they do show up in KS !  So from what it looks, SU has different color/texture for either side of a face.  KS seems to chose 1 side only (and in my case, the wrong side, or in-side).  Hence the white scene with all faces still attached simply because the inside of my models are all white ...