Main Menu

Slot cars!

Started by yotah1, October 08, 2013, 01:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yotah1

In the next months, I will do several slot cars in 3D for a customer who actually builds them for competitors. The 3D will be used for each car to produce either the mould for the parts or the parts themselves in SLA sometimes. For my customer, the good thing is : I turn his "1 month hand modeling process" into a "2 days CAD modeling process"! So we're much faster, which means more models each year and more variations of each model, which means more sales and more money.

I still can't believe how much money some people spend on the 1/24th scale slot cars!!!
The renders are quick, just 15' rendering time with some depth of field and a simple studio lighting. The idea is to use always the same setup and angles.
Modeling in Autodesk Alias, as usual with me.

So, first model, started yesterday, almost done today (I have to modify the dashboard and model the thickness of the part and that's it) :

1967 Bizzarrini P538

thomasteger

I LOVE slot cars. Make sure you put them on a track as well to show them in context!

SergioBL

Lovely renders!! Had a flashback when always after school my cousins and I played all day long!! What a good times!!

Thanks for sharing this awesome project!!

Sergio

PhilippeV8

I wonder what it looks like if you add just a little bump to the car-paint .. ?

Skint

nice work again yotah,  where do you get the details from, the schematics ?

yotah1

I get the orthographic views from the builder actually, he's got thousands of books on those cars as he's been building and selling high quality slot car for the past 40 years or so...

Not a bad idea for the bump added to the paint, i'll have a look into it, even though to be honest i was amazed at how clean and straight the original cars were!

The idea of the slot car track is a good one, I'll do it (with a little twist in it...)

edwardo

Lovely surfacing as usual yotah.

Would be nice to see this taken to next level with some surface imperfections and rivets etc.

But lovely all the same
Ed

PhilippeV8

Now that you mention it, I suddenly remember what slot cars are  :P  Ok so bumpmap is maybe not such a good idea .. indeed.

edwardo

Oh yea..... Scalextric.

In that case, ignore my previous post.... Great model
Alias is king!

PhilippeV8

What I suggest tho .. since this is small scale slot car, that windshield and the light covers would be 0.01mm thick ... those deffenetely need to be a lot thicker !

Despot

QuoteI wonder what it looks like if you add just a little bump to the car-paint .. ?

It'll look like bumpy paint  ;)

Nice oldie cars Yotah, they remind me of something, only these are actually rendered...

J

yotah1

Philippe, actually we are building these with the body being 1.2 mm thick and the glass is only 0.3mm thick, so I modelled it the way itn is in the final product. I haven't had time to work on it lately but I will asap, especially as all I have left to do is a modification on the dash, and model one seat.

PhilippeV8

Josh3D

Cool story how you're saving so much time! Agree you should show them on a track too... or with the little plastic man in it :)

yotah1

I'm trying to find a 3D model of a driver online but struggle to get a "period" outfit actually. All the 3D models are of recent f1 drivers or modern guys anyway :(