Muddy tires using KeyShot labels

Started by Despot, October 17, 2013, 09:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Despot

I just thought I would demonstrate how easy it is to add semi-realistic dirt and grime on wheels and tires in KeyShot without resorting to, ahem... other methods.

All the texturing you see here is achieved by labels alone - no postwork at all.. it's not perfect, but what do you want for 15 minutes work ?

The textures including the dirtmasks are mine but the model is by a 3rd party... don't know who though I'm afraid, so I can't give credit

Thanks for taking a look

J

Chad Holton

Ha! I like it.  :) Looks like you can even create moss with this method as well.

Esben Oxholm

Amazing! I have a lot to learn about texturing  :)

PhilippeV8

The dirt label is on a planar surface surounding the tire ?

If not, how did you do this cuz it looks as tho the dirt is "spilling over the edges of the tire-grooves" .. which obviously make it look more real.

Despot

QuoteThe dirt label is on a planar surface surounding the tire ?

Philippe, no, it's normal map projection for all of the labels. There are two that span the tire treads and a few more have been placed around the tire wall to achieve the 'spilling over' effect you mentioned...

There are also two more labels on the wheel rim and the last has been added to the ground plane. X and Y scales, label intensity and contrast were adjusted to make the label fit and blend in with the tire rubber.

Here is a video screengrab of the scene opened in KeyShot...
J

Ruckus

PhilippeV8

I was refering more to the thinnest thread lines e.g.  Some seem more "filled" with mud than others ... if the labels you put on there folow the surfaces of the threaded tire, then this effect might be due to some areas of the label being brighter and some darker.  Dito for the edges of those tiny thread-grooves .. if you render them clean, they are 100% straight .. now they seem bumpy.

Despot

;D Philippe, honestly I can never tell with you... I'm not sure if you are testing me in some way or are subtly inferring that the image is doctored in some way...  ;)

I mean, honestly I can understand if people might be suspicious especially after Tsunamigate...

But I can assure you that the above render is straight out of KeyShot, no post or external image manipulation at all...

Just pure KeyShot and a tiny bit of skill  ;)

If you want I will do another video screengrab of the the file in KeyShot, zoomed in so you can see it rendering and/or I am perfectly prepared to send a package via WeTransfer to Luxion for them to verify.

I think what you are seeing/referring to is an optical illusion and that's all, just the product of how KeyShot's algorithms interpret the texture maps (labels) and apply them using normal projection.

Also, what you've got to bear in mind is the labels are transparent .PNG's - meaning that there are areas of different 'thicknesses' if you like, in texture (again an optical illusion essentially).

Have a nice weekend

Jon

PhilippeV8

No no no, no tsunamigate stuff.  That's not what I meant.

I just meant to ask about something I admire.  A result you got on purpose or by accident.  Either way, it adds realism.  It adds imperfections as are always there in real life.  So what I was trying to know is if you got these by pure luck or if you had some kind of trick to get that result.

DriesV

Hmmm... Can't help but feel that this tire met a giant pile of safari elephant poo. ??? There's something very organic about it.
Anyway, nice grime! ;)

Dries

PhilippeV8

True, it doesn't look like wet mud .. it looks like something with fibers in it.  But none the less .. for CG .. it does look realistic  :D

Speedster

Hmmm.  Looks like it, smells like it, tastes like it.  Sure glad I didn't step in it...
Bill G

Josh3D

Despot

QuoteNo no no, no tsunamigate stuff.  That's not what I meant.

Well I feel a right horses ass now...  :-[ I should learn to be less defensive...

QuoteHmmm.  Looks like it, smells like it, tastes like it.  Sure glad I didn't step in it...

Too right, when I've looked again it does look suspiciously like dung but actually not at all like 'cookies with cinnamon' according to a comment left by some half-wit on KS's Facebook page...

Anyway, I'm not finished with this yet, better, more realistic images are on the way... and that's no s**t ;)

J