Dan Hudson

DELL PRECISION T7600,
DUAL ZEON 8 CORE 5-2687W 0@3.10 GHZ HYPERTHREADING TO 32 CORES
DUAL NVIDIA QUADRO K5000 VIDEO CARDS
64GB RAM
DUAL DELL 2709W (DIGITAL) MONITORS
3D CONNEXION SPACEPILOT PRO

NormanHadley

That sounds a beast of a machine, Dan. What does a screamer like that cost, these days, if you don't mind my asking?

Speedster

I was curious about cost as well.  The specs and fps are almost identical to my new over-clocked liquid cooled BOXX, except I have 32 gigs of RAM instead of 64, which has no impact on KeyShot anyway.  My BOXX came in at about $12,500 US, which included Win7x64 and MS Office Professional installed. 

It's all about cores!  It's a real joy now to render 6 hour shots in 9 minutes!!!

Bill G

Dan Hudson

I think list price was just under $16k.  I paid quite a bit less...I ordered it from a friend whose a Dell retailer. It includes 24hr tech support and next day on-site repair.

My last machine was a BOXX system and I had nothing but problems, and their tech department was super friendly, but less than helpful.  They would send new part after new part to fix the problems I was having, but nothing ever worked.  I paid $11K and I finally gave up on it.  It's at my IT guys shop in pieces.

What video card did you get?  One or two?

Speedster

One K5000 card.  All I run that cares is SolidWorks, and maybe CS5.  I sure wish SW hyper-threaded!  Interesting comments about BOXX.  So far so good, and I have not really heard any negative comments yet from others.  No matter- it's "in the BOXX" now.  240 gig SSD, and 3x 1TB drives in RAID 5.
Bill G

Dan Hudson

Didn't mean to harsh on BOXX that bad.  We actually had two others in the office that weren't quite as built out and they always ran fine.  I think they probably didn't have all the kinks worked out when I ordered mine.  I ordered all the latest and greatest...not always the best way to go.

DriesV

Hmm... I'm running an HP Z820 in the office. This machine is just under 1 year old and it already got a replaced motherboard. Tuesday morning -on powering on- I got a red flashing power button and intrusive beeps (4 times), indicating a PSU failure. So I got the PSU replaced too. Guess what? Problem not solved... I took out parts one by one and found out that my Quadro 4000 was causing the system fail. New card on the way now.

I guess the sh*t can hit the fan with any system. ;)

Nice build btw!

Dries

NormanHadley

That is some pretty enviable hardware. I've sent a message to Pau1 asking him to re-compile his list of benchmarks http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,1425.0.html because I think these multi-core machines have moved things along a lot in the last two years.

NormanHadley

Ah..just looked at Pau1's profile - "Last active April 06, 2011" so waiting for a response might be like rendering one of Speedster's trains on a Commodore 64. ???