A return to the 300SL

Started by John B, October 27, 2013, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John B

I haven't really been active on here in a while and I figured I might as well take another stab at the 300SL.
I've played around with the chrome material a bit and I'm finally fairly happy with the result that it has on the bumpers.

I did do a little post work to add some noise to the image.

thomasteger

This looks very nice. Not quite site I understand the dark area on the front tire. Also, you may want to "tilt the car a bit more in to the picture" and adjust the focal length to give it a perfect match.

John B

Thanks Thomas. Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what happened with the tire there. Sure, I'll certainly give those things a shot today.  ;D

John B

Well after some tweaking and trying to figure out what you meant by "tilt the car a bit more in to the picture" I came up with these.
(again there is some post work. I'm not going to hide that, and I certainly don't want to ever go to the amount of post work Tsunami did. After seeing what happened there, i'm trying to use less post work)

I would love to reach the level of skill that some people on here possess, but hey it gives me something to strive towards  :D

Anyway, is this more like what you meant? As for the big shadow on the front tire; from what I can tell it's being caused by the general shape and angle of the tire, as well as the fact that the rim itself does stick out over the tire enough to cast a shadow.

thomasteger

LoI think all you need to do is move the camera down a bit. Also notice how much smaller the car appears against the barrier.

John B

Well now I feel kinda dumb for missing that... I'm actually quite a bit happier with this, so I started goofing around with some other "factory" color options  :P

I'm working on a white one at a slightly different angle right now. Might also try a shot of the car facing the other direction or using a different backplate of this location.

edwardo

Nice, but something is still off, not sure what. Is your environment slightly too bright and over saturated? Also, have you tried the ground grid to get your perspective spot on? And as far as chrome goes... have just learnt from Mr Feher that metallic paint is probably a more flexible option for this.

Overall I like it, just bit picking some.
Cheers
Ed

feher

Hi John,

I really like the feel of this. It has that old 60's illustration feel to it. Nice !
The angle is still off. This is a tough one. I think your second try is close. You just need to move the car up some and enlarge it a bit. The brick will be your guide on how large to make the car.
Tim

Dylan

Quote from: feher on November 17, 2013, 04:09:02 PM
.....This is a tough one. I think your second try is close. You just need to move the car up some and enlarge it a bit. The brick will be your guide on how large to make the car.
Tim

I think that's it. The scale of the car to those ground bricks looks too small. Scaling the car up a bit might make a huge difference. It's still excellent work as is.

John B

Quote from: feher on November 17, 2013, 04:09:02 PM
Hi John,

I really like the feel of this. It has that old 60's illustration feel to it. Nice !
The angle is still off. This is a tough one. I think your second try is close. You just need to move the car up some and enlarge it a bit. The brick will be your guide on how large to make the car.
Tim

Thanks Tim! I finally got around to taking a look at the webinar you did so I think i'll definitely have to revisit this scene and see if I can't apply some of the things you brought up. Thank you for the wonderful webinar, it was quite insightful.