Loading VR into ipad

Started by BrentShanahan, November 07, 2013, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentShanahan

I just downloaded iAuthor and I'm curious about the process of how to get the VR render to display on the ipad.

I picked the basic template in iAuthor and inserted an html widget on the page and loaded the VR.wgt into the html widget. When I click on the "preview on ipad" button it only shows a blank page. Is there something I'm missing here? Am I loading the VR widget improperly?

Also, it allows you to re-size the html widget. I rendered at 1024x762 IIRC which should fill the screen. Do I just re-size the widget to fill the entire page in iAuthor? The template has the page split in two with a line for two pages of writing. Do I need to fill both pages with the widget or just one?

I searched and there doesn't seem to be a tutorial on how to do this, not even in the keyshot help files. It's probably something simple but the whole iAuthor thing is foreign to me.

BrentShanahan

I have been playing with iBooks Author all morning and can not get it to work. I have tried everything. Is there an alternate option to get it on the ipad.

I NEED this on the ipad for a convention this weekend. I would just throw it up on an online server but there is no guarantee that they will have WIFI everywhere on the convention floor.

thomasteger

You did check the "iPad Widget output" in the KeyShotVR output options?

Brandon Davis

Brent,

When you load the vr.wdgt file into the HTML widget in iBooks Author, do you see a preview image of your VR?

Which version of iOS, iBooks, and iBooks Author are you using?

BrentShanahan

I just downloaded the latest version of iBooks and author to my computer and the iPad. When I loaded it in it showed a demo image and when I clicked "edit html" it allowed me to use the VR demo on the screen in author. Then when I hit "test in ipad" nothing appears. I even tried publishing it with no further luck.

Temporary solution for anyone having the same issue:
I loaded the normal VR (not the .wgt) onto my website in a hidden folder. Then I opened the VR in that folder on the ipad using Safari. Under the "Share" tab in the menu bar on Safari there is an icon that says "add to reading list." This will cache the page and allow you to view it offline until the cache is cleared.

That fix will work fine for the convention this weekend and takes the pressure off getting this working by then but I would like to try to resolve the problem  iBooks Author for future use.

Brandon Davis

When you select preview in iBooks Author, do you have your iPad connected to your computer with the iBooks app open on your iPad? When you publish the iBook it will give you an iBooks file that you will need to drag into your iTunes library or iBooks app on your Mac. You should then sync your iPad with your iTunes/iBooks on your Mac. The iBooks should then be present on your iPad within the iBooks app.

This works for me here, let me know if this works for you.

BrentShanahan

Ya the ipad is connected to the computer. I open a new iBooks Author with the Basic theme. Then I delete all the text and add an HTML widget. Then load the .wgt file into the HTML widget.

When I click test in ipad it opens the book but nothing is in it. It's just empty. So I tried exporting it and loading it into iTunes and syncing the .ibook file. It's still just an empty book. I tried this multiple times from start to finish.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong here as far as I'm concerned. I just don't get why it isn't adding the HTML widget with the VR into the book?

Googling around I found a thread that the guy was having a similiar issue with his .wgt and after re-writing his .plist file it worked. Not sure if that is where my issue is or not but that's the closest thing I found.

Brandon Davis

could you send me your VR wdgt? I would like to take a look.

brandon(at)luxion(dot)com