Fix blocky shadows? - Which setting?

Started by lersince1991, August 06, 2010, 12:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lersince1991

Hi,

Just tog et to know keyshot a bit better I'd like to know what setting affects the shadows, In normal render quality they are noticeably blocky but in good quality they are smooth.

thanks
luke

lersince1991

What setting will resolve this horrible effect on the render from a bump mapped brushed steel ?

Please help, need these renders done asap and this looks awful!

Thanks!

guest84672

Is this a ground reflection? If so - increase the shadow quality in the rendering settings.

Thomas

lersince1991

No sorry forgot to mention that.

It's on a panel of another material, always happens, this is just a close up.
It's like light gets trapped and the shadows go crappy.

So shadow quality will solve it?
Just I don't want to be rendering for hours for no reason.

Thanks,
Luke.

guest84672

lersince1991

yeh it happens in 'good' quality renders, but less than normal and fast

jhiker

Where did the solid model come from?
Is there a gap between the two components or are they hard up against each other?

Is there something odd going on behind the support bracket too?

lersince1991

I've upped the quality of the shadows and a couple of other things, took 2.5 hours each render but they are now perfect.

Yes there is a 0.5mm gap between them, it also happens if they are against each other.

The model comes from sketchup.

Just think its something that happens between the 2 materials, nothing to do with the model.

guest84672

lersince1991

might just ask in the same thread another question...

I've done 2 renders last night but I think I moved the environment for the second and saved it by accident, I spent ages getting the rotation of the hdri right and now I've saved over it. Is there any metadata kept anywhere or a log to show the rotation for these renders?

lersince1991

No problem I've found a backup! Lucky!

Thanks for the help, and btw, I like Keyshot better than hypershot... never thought I'd say that!

Keep up the good work and support for Macs!

Luke

m2tts

I recently had a similar issue with artifacts from a metallic finish against a gloss white object leaving illumination artifacts on the gloss white surface. No amount of setting adjustment cleaned it up, though pushing the Global Illumination quality up to it's highest (5) was going in the right direction. I had to solve the problem by changing the metallic material to a plastic and doing a separate render pass for the white.

Brian Townsend

Scale also has an affect on how the ground shadow is rendered.  Try increasing the scale of your model and then snapping to ground. I suggest trying this first and then increasing shadow quality.

Brian