Splashes / Fades and Graphics

Started by WildWayz, December 07, 2013, 06:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildWayz

Hi guys

Do you know if there are any splash designs out there? Or how to go about creating them?
If possible, being able to change the colours of the splash and background?

Something like this:

Or even how to do gradients / fades?

Also, how about putting graphics onto designs? Would I just create a large image and map the image to the item?

Thanks guys!

James

Y.Lange

Hi WildWayz,

For splashes in different colors I can see three different approaches:
1. -Making a texture map with the splashes, and a opacity map to mask the rest out
-Followed by making a material of it and applying this to a duplicate of your model which is upscaled a bit.
-This way you have full control of size, position, color and finish of your splashes
-Probably the most work, but eventually the best options for control

2. -Already apply the splashes in your CAD so keyshot sees it as a different body/surface/part.
-Gives you full control of the color and finish but no control (in KS) of sizing and positions.

3. Use decals and for coloring use PS (or similar) and just update the decal when needed.
-Full control on sizing, position, colors (outside KS tho)
-This is probably be what I would do.

For fading, as far as I know, fading can only be done with color textures or as decals.

For artwork/graphics I always use them as decal or apply them in CAD if it is a definite fixed graphic.

If anyone has alternatives, I'm interested as well (fading part especially)

Hope it helps!

WildWayz

Thanks for the reply :) I kinda get what you mean - here's some things I was playing with:

Using a huge gradient image and mapping it onto the model:

And a graphic on there:

Now, another problem is that near the eye cover (just under the feedneck) there is a black triangle. It isn't there in the cad file and isn't a reflection... can't figure out why it is there...

thomasteger

What modeling software are you using?

Great images, btw. Love the texture work.

Y.Lange

did you use the round corners feature?