Color values, i.e. RGB don't match between Keyshot and Photoshop

Started by Bondra, December 09, 2013, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bondra

Hi there!

I'm using Keyshot 4.1 and having some troubles to get color values to match in Keyshot. No matter if they are in RGB, CMYK i.e. they still won't match. I have tried a bunch of things to figure out the problem but obviously missing something here. No specular or similar effects that may impact the color. Just a pure flat colored material.

Have a look at my screenshot. What's wrong?

EDIT: I might add that using the color picking tool in Keyshot to grab the color from Photoshop though gives right color. Not same RGB value though. Same color gives (21, 54, 95) in PS and (2, 11, 35) in KS. Not even close?

Ruckus

The most likely reason that you can pick a color that appears the same in both applications, but has different RGB values, it is that KS  and PS are running under different color profiles.

Going through the tutorial that I recently posted at this thread should help you understand what is happening:
http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,7155.0.html

Bondra

I tried to apply the sRGB color profile, saved and restarted the program. Still with out displaying right color from RGB values.

I kind of fixed it in a very odd way. The settings though are lost everytime I restart the program. But this is what I did to get proper colors from specified RGB values:
1. First I specify the RGB value for a material in Keyshot i.e. R26, G48, B92 (which gives wrong color compared to PS)
2. I open the Color Management tab (Edit > Preferences > Color Management) and select my sRGB color profile without restarting it (restarting it will forget my settings, even though the profile that are supposed to be used are specified in the input field) .
3. Still wrong color though with proper RGB values. Pushing R26 to R27 and back to R26 makes it suddenly display right color.

Very odd solution and not very slick one either since it won't save it til next time opening Keyshot.

This is obviously a bug?

Bondra

Ruckus

Before I go any further, let me make sure you are on a Windows machine, correct?

Ruckus

I was middle of a long reply when I realized I misunderstood your problem.  Not sure If I have a very good answer now.  but...

Photoshop uses the adobeRGB profile by default.  In PS use, Edit-->Color Settings-->Working Spaces-->RGB to see what color space is in effect.  Then set KS to use that same color space, and try your color picker again.   The Gamma Correction checkboxes in KS may also play a role in the color shifts you are seeing.

KeyShot not holding on to your color management settings sounds like a bug or a permissions issue.  I don't have that problem in 4.2.35

Chad Holton

I've tested this with 4.3 and it seems to work fine for me. Under Project>Settings, change your Gamma to 1, this is most likely the reason the color doesn't match but your RGB value does. As for the color picker not matching the color swab from Adobe - I was able to match the RGB values fine from GIMP and even your sample picture above. So, there's something about the way Adobe is displaying the colors on your screen and is probably what Ruckus was mentioning. Hope this helps.