Violin Render - NX model

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, December 15, 2013, 06:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

I am a fifth-year student at a university in Norway, and I'm currently responsible for teaching CAD(NX) to the first-year students. One of the students there, Sondre Kvam, delivered a model of a violin which I thought was very impressing, especially considering the fact that he has only been working with the software for one semester(!) He rendered out pictures in NX, which was very decent, although NX isn't the best software to use for realistic rendering in my opinion.

I asked Sondre for the model, to give it the justice it deserved, and rendered some images, as well as a short animation(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqh_Vcj156c)

Hope you like them :)

Josh3D

Perfection. This is a beautiful image. Thanks for sharing this.

Speedster

You think these are good?  Or should I say GREAT!  Just wait until you see the stunning animation at http://keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,7264.0.html!

By the way- the f holes are super- I love the little internal sharp points that sets them apart from other makers.

I personally would like to see a bit of ebony grain- can be done using only a bump map.  Also, I don't quite understand what wood you are using for the purfling?  It seems kind of reddish.

Bill G

DriesV

Pretty impressive model for a 'novice' CAD user -of any platform for that matter- indeed!
I can remember my final model after my first semester of CAD (which was in Rhino btw) in college... it wasn't a violin, that's for sure. ;D

About NX:
I've been wanting to learn NX for forever. Magnus, if you know of a (affordable) way for me to learn NX self-paced in my free time and to use it for non-commercial purposes (hell, I would even accept watermark output! ;)), please send me a PM!

Regards,
Dries

Magnus Skogsfjord

Speedster: Yes, he had an excellent eye for detail when he did the modeling. As you, I also noticed these sharp internal snaps. About the ebony bump map you mentioned: Could you link me an example of how this looks? About the purfling: This part was done a bit quick, just by using the same material as for the rest of the model, only scaled down. It would, perhaps, be better to use a different material.

DriesV: Do you have a license for the software? If you have access to NX, I could give you some tips on where to begin :)

DriesV

Quote from: Magnus S on December 17, 2013, 08:26:39 AM
DriesV: Do you have a license for the software? If you have access to NX, I could give you some tips on where to begin :)

No, this is the biggest part of the problem. :)

I've seen this: NX 8.5 Learning Edition - Annual License
Sounds exactly like what I need (in my company only SolidWorks is used), but sadly this is only available to students and academic staff. I am neither. :)

I'd use NX purely for the fun of it, to learn from it and for personal use only...

Btw, sorry for hijacking this thread and turning it into a NX license discussion...

Dries

Magnus Skogsfjord

Aha... Well, that's unfortunate. I'm afraid I am out of suggestions then :-\

Speedster

QuoteThis part was done a bit quick, just by using the same material as for the rest of the model, only scaled down. It would, perhaps, be better to use a different material.

Actually, just decreasing the brightness or intensity would probably do the trick.
Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Decreased the brightness as suggested. It looks a tad better I think

edwardo

This model is nice, and certainly very impressive for a novice modeller ! But I have to say it's the materials that really make this image sing. You've really got that 'quarter cut' grain looking good (spruce I guess) and the lacquer looks amazing! Apparently it was the secret recipe lacquer that made stradivarious instruments special.

Nice jobby
Ed

Speedster

Quotesecret recipe lacquer
Yep- it's the varnish made from the resin of the very rare KeyShot tree!

Here's an ebony bump map you might want to try-

Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: edwardo on December 19, 2013, 05:53:07 AM
This model is nice, and certainly very impressive for a novice modeller ! But I have to say it's the materials that really make this image sing. You've really got that 'quarter cut' grain looking good (spruce I guess) and the lacquer looks amazing!

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

Quote from: Speedster on December 19, 2013, 06:25:42 AM
Here's an ebony bump map you might want to try-

Thanks alot! I will test this when I get back from the holidays.