Main Menu

Tinkering

Started by Zen, December 29, 2013, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Sometimes I get sidetracked, making something completely different than what I planned to.   Must be my hunger manifesting itself.  Who wants steak?

Started with a single 8 sided cylinder, ended up with this.

Zen

this one took 3 easy steps. 

1. create sphere with 25 points.

2.  select all points on center top and pull them inside a bit

3.  2 levels of butterfly subdivision

feher

Zen,
Thanks for sharing. You can see your progression from one image to the other. Your materials are getting better and your lighting with every image.
Keep up the great work !
I have no comment on the last image....lol but, the yellow material looks decent...lol
Tim

Zen

well usually the focus is the model itself, not the environment, so that's why I don't put a whole lot of focus on environmental factors unless it's something special or complex.  I basically do these in spare time, so these are generally 5-10 minute projects.  I prefer keyshot because of its quick render times on simple scenes.  with some other programs, I could easily take an hour rendering the same thing that only takes a few minutes or less in keyshot. 

and I know what you mean...that orange looks like something you'd like to put your mouth on for a bit huh ;P

Zen

Zen

messing around with a new keyshot logo, tons of possibilities...  could make a decent icon at least.  single piece 3d model, rendered in keyshot, no post processing, default lighting.

Zen

nothing too special, didn't put too much work into it so far

I modeled this after a coffee table my father had when I was a kid.  It was just a giant square log on wheels, stained black on the sides, really heavy.  I think he must have made it because I've never seen another like it.  I ended up ruining it with a metal toy jet, jabbing the nose into the table over and over when I was little.  Sure you could sand it out, but he was not happy. 

Zen

a simple volume knob (from my stereo), all geometry, textured with titanium material.   the lines aren't as numerous and small as I would like, but they create the effect I was going for. 

Zen

ah now that's a bit more like it.  135K faces.  does have some issues with rendering such small details though.  notice the artifacts in the second image.  the first one is actually a screenshot from the preview windows render.  so I'm guessing it has to do with some render settings applied to the full render options. 

the only settings that seem to affect the pattern of the corruption seems to be pixel blur and ray bounces, but no setting change eliminates it. 

Speedster

Neat!  You can get rid of the artifacts if you render really large and then resize it in Photoshop.  I run into this a lot with toons on meshes and the like.

So on the coffee table, I don't see the dents!

Bill G

Zen

Yeah that did help a lot, but I'll probably have to go even higher than 9000x5000 to eliminate it.  The patterns on it are a little unsightly,  but such objects are not meant to be viewed from up close anyways.

Zen

and probably the last piece of this model type I'm going to display for now.  I rendered the lower quality version just for speed, and to minimize render corruption seeping in.  although I might explore applying the same type of ridges to more organic shapes to see what kind of reflectivity they produce.

Zen

just something I randomly modeled with no intent on the final outcome. 

from left to right, it's some kind of scifi cockpit.....from right to left it's some kind of other worldly tadpole sharkamajig.

Zen

slowly but surely I'm refining it.  It's a shame I hate zbrush, because it could really add some perfect detail  ;)

Zen

a facsimile of the phone used by the lead actor of the scifi future cop tv show "almost human".