Best render settings for web animations?

Started by Speedster, January 24, 2014, 07:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedster

Hi all;

Yesterday I rendered a 900 frame (30 seconds) 1200 x 1200 orbit/zoom animation for a client, for use as a trade show presentation loop.  He also wants to embed it on their website.  It rendered out in about three hours on 32 cores.  Would have taken a weekend on my old computer!

What's the best size and or resolution to do it for the web and minimize the file size?  The first animation .avi came in at 16 MB.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Bill G

NDenekamp

Embedding suggests uploading to a video website like Vimeo, YouTube, etc.

Such sites take nearly any video and churn out various resolution streams for playback on their site / embedded / full screen / etc.

Vimeo for example scales videos to 720p (should remain 720x720 for your 1:1 aspect video file) unless you are 'plus' user which allows 1080p.

To be as much in charge of this kind of conversion as you can be, it pays to prepare the video yourself into the format the site likes best. Again for Vimeo they have compression guidelines published to assist with this: http://vimeo.com/help/compression

Hope this helps,

niels

Speedster

Thanks, Niels! Makes sense to me, and gives me an excuse to let the ad agency tell me what they need!
Bill G