i7-4770R cores 100°C running KeyShot - Will my machine melt??

Started by DriesV, February 13, 2014, 06:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryann

Hi everyone

I was wondering, one year after... how the Brix Pro has performed and if for instance DriesV is still happy with is ?

Laurent

Arn

Quote from: DriesV on February 21, 2014, 05:20:07 AM
Intel Haswell CPUs @ 100°C = no problem. :) At default clock speed that is...
These chips are designed to take the heat.
100°C really is a bit much, as is confirmed by a response to the same question asked elsewhere (https://communities.intel.com/message/223617#223617). For short periods of time it might be fine, but for extended use it is ill advised.

Please note that chips and motherboards have safety mechanisms included in their design. This means that chips might throttle down or even completely shut down when operated at high temperatures. While this means doing damage is less likely, it also means getting less than ideal performance out of your chip, as it sacrifices performance to keep temperatures within check and damage to a minimum.

While Tcase temperatures for the 4770R are strangely omitted from the 4770R Intel Ark specifications, the very similar 4770K lists 72.72°C as the maximum temperature at the IHS and Allen from Intel in the link says this model tops out at just 66.45°C. Even if we ignore Allen's comment, the similar architecture and internal TIM mean that difference is limited. A 100 degrees seems too much either way.

Having such a small package combined with sustained full load operations seems less than ideal, typically you would want something more ventilated for the job. It must be noted that reports seem to indicate that throttling occurs exactly around the 100°C mark, which raises suspicions the chip in your system might already be protecting itself. I would advice increasing your airflow and taking a long hard look at chip behaviour while rendering.

DarkEdge

That sounds mighty high!
I'm running a i7-4930k @ 3.4GHz and rendering at 42C with a Corsair water cooler.

kryann

Just to follow up on those discussions.

I am running a fully threaded application using the 8 threads of the i7 4770r.

If you disable the turbo mode, roughly the temperature goes up to 86°, while if you enable it, it can go as high as 100° but mostly around 95°.
Without the turbo, you'll loose something like 14% speed ? Up to 86° the Brix Pro is actually quite silent (30db?), at 95-100° ok that's very noisy ! (50-60db).

86° might be ok, yet I've seen somewhere on the internet that the Tcase of the i7 4770r (perhaps was it the Allen's comment ?) around 66-67°... while someone else has called intel and manage to have an answer that this i7 was designed to handle those temperatures..

That's why I was specifically asking to DriesV as he had the Brix Pro for more than a year for intensive computation.

My only problem with the Brix Pro is to know wether it can really handle those temperatures (either 86° or 95°) for long period of time. In theory I would say no and would not recommend it, but 1) the case and size is great 2) it's strange to notice the ventilator only starts above 85° and the high setting for this cpu is 84°...).

So anyone having experience with the Brix Pro for intensive computation on some time period is welcome to add his feedback to this conversation :)

Thanks Arn & DarkEdge